Hot with a full 3mm suit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course you are going to get a variety of opinions on this one :). For me, I would burn up in a full 3mm in the summer months down here in Fort Lauderdale and the Bahamas. I have been diving here for about 30 years and have never worn a full suit in the summer. I don't like wearing any wetstuit... its too restrictive and I don't like dealing with weight belts. I just wear a long sleeved rash guard with shorts this time of year and I never get cold. If I were making repetitive deep dives I may consider a shorty after the first dive but I typically stay pretty shallow anyway. In the winter months I do use a full 3mm suit down here.

charris400:
Of course you are going to get a variety of opinions on this one :). For me, I would burn up in a full 3mm in the summer months down here in Fort Lauderdale and the Bahamas. I have been diving here for about 30 years and have never worn a full suit in the summer. I don't like wearing any wetstuit... its too restrictive and I don't like dealing with weight belts. I just wear a long sleeved rash guard with shorts this time of year and I never get cold. If I were making repetitive deep dives I may consider a shorty after the first dive but I typically stay pretty shallow anyway. In the winter months I do use a full 3mm suit down here.

It depends on where you're at and what you're doing. The water temp has hit 87 already in South Florida. 86 degrees used to be about the most we would get in late August. Since it's already 87, it will probably hit 90 in late August this year.

This weekend, I was using a 2mm shorty and was still uncomfortably hot and had sweat getting in my eyes inside the mask. And out of the water, forget it, no way I'm donning a full suit.

scubasaint:
All,

I am looking at buying a new wetsuit and have all but decided to go with a 3mm full suit. My diving is all done in warm water (Caribbean or Gulf) and to this point I have been using a shorty with no issues of getting cold. I want to go with a full suit now to prevent scrapes and jellies but was curious if I would be hot wearing a full 3mm in these types of environments. Anyone have any experience they can share?

All feedback is welcomed!

Shorties do not make a lot of sense because they do not protect you from stinging invertibrates.

Full suits come in 1/2 mm, 3 mm, 5 mm, 7 mm, and farmer johns from 3 mm to 7mm.

I am a beefy person, so a 1/2 mm is perfect for me in 82F to 84F waters. Some people just wear swimsuits in these temperatures, and they think I over-dress with my 1/2 mm dive skins.

On the same boat, others are quite happy in full 3 mm suits for the same conditions.

It all depends on your individual physiology. Nobody can answer these questions for you.

The Kraken:
Remember, the temperature at the bottom is seldom that at the surface.

Did a two tank dive not long ago wherein the surface temp was about 84 degrees. When we got down to about 60 feet we hit a thermocline that dropped the water temp to 76 degrees.

Now to back up a bit, as my dive buddy and I were gearing up and putting on our 3mm full suits, we heard a few catty remarks about the need for exposure suits. I'm sure you can imagine the text of the conversations . . .

Anyway, at the end of the second dive, those macho/hero types diving in cutoffs and t-shirts didn't look as nearly comfortable as we, nor did they look as if they'd enjoyed that second dive to 76 degrees as much as we.

Keep in mind that as long as you're reflecting upon the temperature of the water during your dive, you possibly could be neglecting to concentrate on more important issues.

the K

Warm-cold thermoclines like that are common in some places but not others.

I have experienced them in the Sea of Cortez, but not in the Florida Keys.

I'd just try it or maybe get a 3/2 suit. It should be fine most days in warmish water.

A thinner full skin (0.5 or 1 mm) might be better on really hot days and can be had for under $100, or 2mm shorty. But if it's hot enough to make the 3mm unbearable then I could dive in my boardshorts and rash guard without issue. :wink:

scubasaint:
All,

I am looking at buying a new wetsuit and have all but decided to go with a 3mm full suit. My diving is all done in warm water (Caribbean or Gulf) and to this point I have been using a shorty with no issues of getting cold. I want to go with a full suit now to prevent scrapes and jellies but was curious if I would be hot wearing a full 3mm in these types of environments. Anyone have any experience they can share?

All feedback is welcomed!

I'll save you some money.......buy a set of skins to go under your shorty(about $40 US)....That way you will probably only need them alone(except for 'winter' Caribbean diving when the shorty will come into play)...

Example, in the last 2 weeks, I have made 17 Little Cayman dives(2 weeks ago)--water temp 85 or 86 degrees then 7 Flower Gardens dives(last week) water temp 82 to 84 degrees.......Used my skins only for all....Saves money & pain(less weight)......

It's the only way to fly, I mean dive.......(get you some skins).......

yeah, i thought of that too. a 2mm shorty over a 1mm skin would get you by at minimal expense (assuming that you own the shorty you've been using). perhaps not as "clean" as a new 2/3, but would certainly get the job done and you have flexibility for various conditions.

Thanks for all your opinions. I think I'm going to go with the 3/2 full suit as it seems that it should be fine. With that said, any recommendations for a decent quality suit that doesn't break the bank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom