Hot 'lanta GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. I'm new and old to scuba :0

I was certified some 30 years ago by IDEA during the college days but then got out of it. Tomorrow, I'm heading to Pensacola with my 2 sons (23 & 21) to get recertified for me and certified for the first time for them. We are using PADI this time; I feel like they are better recognized.

Welcome to the board! I'm glad for you that your boys are getting into it too. My wife can take or leave it (true vacation diver), but my 14 y.o. and 10 y.o. boys are on their way to being regular divers. Enjoy the time with them, and the underwater world!
Respectfully,
James

Hello all. I'm new and old to scuba :0

I was certified some 30 years ago by IDEA during the college days but then got out of it. Tomorrow, I'm heading to Pensacola with my 2 sons (23 & 21) to get recertified for me and certified for the first time for them. We are using PADI this time; I feel like they are better recognized.

Hey, also in Ga, welcome to the forum, yadda, yadda !! I looked around at cert prices for an interested nephew of mine not long ago, and was shocked at the prices I was hearing (though I'd been told better deals could be found down on the Fla/Al coast , so hopefully that's working out for you). But, though PADI is admittedly "more recognized" (like Wal-Mart and Amazon :shakehead:), the reality is that a cert card, is a cert card, and dive shop owners faces don't light up with respect when they see a PADI card, LOL! Seriously, nobody, anywhere,ever, is going to give any special preference to customers with a PADI Open Water card, versus any other card. I'd say the only real advantage of going PADI is if you want to follow through with the rest of the cert levels, and become a working instructor. In many areas this makes you more employable, but otherwise, there's virtually no difference. You could have an ancient cert card, from defunct agencies in Japan or Brazil, and they'll still let you on the boat (voice of experience there).
Also, while it doesn't hurt at all to just do the entire cert again after 3 decides (I've re-certified people myself, at least a couple times), and I'm sure the bonding activity with your sons is a plus, you could save a small pile of money by just doing some sort of refresher course, and sticking with your original certifying agency (assuming you still have the card).
Just my rambling comments, worth what you paid for 'em !! :D

All good points and I have come to the realization that PADI is not exactly the darling of the industry :). Unfortunately, I reached the realization after I had already committed us. My driving factor was more Florida than the agency; I did my original certification in a muddy lake with very poor visibility. I'm hoping for a better experience for my boys. Honestly, I've heard it said, and agree, that it is more about your instructor than the agency; the place we're going is very highly rated. You'll have to ask me next week how they were. I'm responding to this as we drive to Pensacola in fact. I've already noticed some things about PADI during their eLearning that I've questioned. Depending on this experience, I might switch agencies for my advanced certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom