Hot! Expats In Asia

ASIA SUB-FORUM FOR EXPATS LIVING AND WORKING THERE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
So if there is a non geographical subforum for expats in Asia, it's for......Americans only? Chinese in Korea? Malaysians in Japan? Hungarians in Pakistan? All are expats in Asia. I'm not being a wise ***. This is very broad.

Who said Americans only? I did not see that anywhere but I did see expats.

cdiver2:
Who said Americans only? I did not see that anywhere but I did see expats.

I mentioned Americans, among other nationalities because each one will have to specify to ask for "Malaysian expats in Japan", or "British expats in the Seychelles" to find the embassy or a dive group there all in one forum.

Don't see why this can't be dealt with by creating specific threads within the existing forum.

Hank49:
I mentioned Americans, among other nationalities because each one will have to specify to ask for "Malaysian expats in Japan", or "British expats in the Seychelles" to find the embassy or a dive group there all in one forum.

Expats in Asia much simpler to find than looking for a thread about them on the whole board.

There is a simple way of doing this of course, just start a thread titled Expats in Asia and ask that members not post anything other than that subject there..

What I saw in the proposal was things like how to find & deal with local government departments, not finding your embassy.

I should imagine that all expats no matter what country the come from and are living in know where there nearest embassy is. It would be a wise thing to find out when going to live in another country.

drbill:
Don't see why this can't be dealt with by creating specific threads within the existing forum.

See thread below your last :D

Agreed it can be done that way ...as long as members A/ don't use it for other subjects B/ Don't go off on a tangent within that thread C/ The title accurately describes the subject matter. Will this happen Nooooo

That is correct....searching through threads would be painful. I had suggested that earlier and was reminded of the needle in a haystack analogy. The sub-forum seems to be the best way for EXPATS to find information. THe real uniqueness of Asia and the written languages is what has spawned this idea. This is a good idea.

It certainly can't hurt. There's a forum for everything else. Why not this?

Why should expats share their tips between themselves?

At the contrary, I think that their local knowledge is benefitial to all, especially for the people who do not live in the area.

There is nothing better than being guided by someone who knows the place because he leaves there. He knows where to go and where/what to avoid. Isn't what we look for when we take a local dive guide?

Cheers.

Nuts Bubblefish:
Why should expats share their tips between themselves?

At the contrary, I think that their local knowledge is benefitial to all, especially for the people who do not live in the area.

There is nothing better than being guided by someone who knows the place because he leaves there. He knows where to go and where/what to avoid. Isn't what we look for when we take a local dive guide?

Cheers.

You are missing the point of having a sub-forum. EXPATS will share their knowledge anyway with anyone...the idea is to provide a place (that is known to all) to do just that...share information. If the sub-forumit goes through that would be great...if not, it is our loss. SB is a great tool and it seems that some people are more focused on talking about benign garbage than the more important issues. Hope it changes.

16 votes to date. several are not expats living in Asia. Is that because of apathy or the fact that most expats in Asia on this board just don't care about a sererate forum?

Back
Top Bottom