Hosting a Portfolio and Monetisation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darrenlowjq

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I have some questions for some of the hobbyist photographers here who have set up their own website or found some other solution to host a portfolio of their photography work. Not sure if this is the right sub-forum so mods feel free to move this thread if it isn't. Some background about me to help you give me relevant advice, I'm definitely an amateur photographer not looking to make a living off UW photography.

I'm looking into setting up a place to showcase the photos that I've taken, leaning towards making a personal website, likely going to be using a service like Squarespace to get started quickly if I choose this route, but not ruling out platforms like Flickr or 500px. I have a little self taught programming experience though not with HTML, Javascript or CSS so building from scratch would not be out of the question but would not be my first choice. I'm currently trying the trial version of Squarespace and I like the customisability offered with little need for programming knowledge. 500px is nice too because they offer an element of social integration into a wider photography community and also the customisability through their portfolio function, though I have yet to try that out. Any thoughts or suggestions for getting something like that set up?

Another tangential question would be with regards to monetisation options. I was looking at 500px Prime which offers the ability to sell photos. I'm not under any delusion that photography is going to be a sustainable or even consistent source of income but I wouldn't complain if I got checks occasionally to offset the cost of this hobby kind of like what many instructors here do. Anybody got anything to share one way or the other about whether photographers actually get sales through 500px or alternative platforms that facilitate something like this?

Any thoughts about either or both of my questions?

We have a personal website (BlueViews | Home Page) with both video and still stuff. The video stuff (done by my wife) is quite nice and she occasionally gets commissions to do this type of stuff. As for monetization of photos I am not sure that 500px is the way to go, better to think about using Getty or the like for stock (unless you have really, truly killer shots of whales/dolphins/Nemos). Not much else sells to grandparents buying stuff for their grandkids.

Bill

Bumping this thread because I think it might serve some purpose to fellow divers who are thinking about creating a portfolio website for their photography work. I think thread is also still relevant up to this day.

I found a website builder where it is easy to create a portfolio website and that is the hPage Website Builder: Create a free website! - hPage.com. The website can also host other files aside from photos and is very good for beginners who have little to no knowledge on how to code and it allows them to manually set up their own website by themselves. The website design is also customisable by just picking from hPage's hundreds of templates.

Monetization of photos is not possible since you can only put up your photos in a slideshow gallery kind of way but you can monetize your website through advertisements. You can also put up a Paypal button (although I haven't tried that route yet).

I have been hosting my photography website with them for a few years now and I have no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom