Photography with the Sony A7R5 camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Franek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99

I have a question about the A7R5 with the Sony FE 16-35 F2.8 GM lens is the right choice for the novice underwater photographer to take photos and videos.
I got the equipment in a complete Nauticam set with the Fi180 cone, I don't have only stoboscopic lamps, but constant lighting, for making movies.
Maybe some advice on the settings for taking pictures as well as making videos. I will be very grateful for all advice.

If I were in your position, I do not think that is a good choice for a novice. Personally, I never take a camera underwater that I am not willing to accept the total lost of. No matter how careful you are, accidents can happen, especially when you are new, and the A7RV with the 16-35 GM lens are both outstanding. I would not take them underwater if they were mine.

If you want to shoot Sony underwater, I would start with an A6XXX series of camera. It will be more simple, and if something bad happens, then the lost is not as catastrophic. (I shoot a Sony A6000 underwater and an A7RIII above water.)

Keep in mind that this is nothing more than my opinion and others may disagree with me.

Congratulations on getting the state of the art camera and a great lens. However, it’s as if you have never driven a car before and are jumping into a Ferrari with a manual transmission. Watch some of the online reviews of this camera (Alex Mustard in particular) and be comfortable with its features on land first. When you decide on the settings for your shooting conditions, you can save them to Memory. You need to then understand your housing and lighting. There are separate ports required for wide angle versus macro shooting. The 16-35 is a good choice for wide angle. You can just leave it at say 35 mm or you need a zoom gear attachment for the housing . If you want to shoot macro, you will want Sony’s excellent 90 mm lens. With attention to detail, maintaining your orings, etc. there is no reason why you would flood the housing or otherwise damage your gear.

What do I mean by exceptional words?
The seller proposed a different lens and a 230mm dome, I insisted on a small dome and then he proposed this lens.
You don't think it's a good lens for taking photos while diving in the ocean.
I took some underwater test photos at the pool, it's not open water.
I'm not a photographer, I take pictures on Auto or P with ISO set to auto and white balance set to auto.
The problem is that I have practically no friends who dive, let alone take pictures.
I am looking for tips on how to set the options in the camera, what to pay attention to when taking photos.
I will be grateful for hints and advice, maybe someone will suggest how to set these programs 1, 2, 3, so as to check what will come out of the photos with the proposed settings.

Congratulations on getting the state of the art camera and a great lens. However, it’s as if you have never driven a car before and are jumping into a Ferrari with a manual transmission. Watch some of the online reviews of this camera (Alex Mustard in particular) and be comfortable with its features on land first. When you decide on the settings for your shooting conditions, you can save them to Memory. You need to then understand your housing and lighting. There are separate ports required for wide angle versus macro shooting. The 16-35 is a good choice for wide angle. You can just leave it at say 35 mm or you need a zoom gear attachment for the housing . If you want to shoot macro, you will want Sony’s excellent 90 mm lens. With attention to detail, maintaining your orings, etc. there is no reason why you would flood the housing or otherwise damage your gear.
Thank you, I didn't buy it, I got it as a gift from my wife.

Can you send a link to Alex Mustard's review I will be grateful.
It seems to me that taking macro photos is a long way away for me.
The set has the ability to change the zum at the moment
I can make zumas I have a ring on the lens.
You can suggest how to set these 3 programs that can be saved, we'll see what comes of it when I come back from diving in 3 weeks.
I must add that the photos are great and I personally am not a photographer.

I have a question about the A7R5 with the Sony FE 16-35 F2.8 GM lens is the right choice for the novice underwater photographer to take photos and videos.
I got the equipment in a complete Nauticam set with the Fi180 cone, I don't have only stoboscopic lamps, but constant lighting, for making movies.
Maybe some advice on the settings for taking pictures as well as making videos. I will be very grateful for all advice.
No. Get a sony 28-60mm with the flat port 45 and WWL-1 it will be much more versatile
A big dome and rectilinear lens is not for novices

No. Get a sony 28-60mm with the flat port 45 and WWL-1 it will be much more versatile
A big dome and rectilinear lens is not for novices

Totally agree with this.

The 16-35 really needs a 230mm dome. That combo with proper lighting is not very "novice friendly."

My normal setup is either a Sony a6400 with the WWL-C or a Sony a7rIV with the 28-60 with the WWL-1B (as Massimo suggests) and I've got years of shooting underwater photography but still have a lot to learn.

Regards,

- brett

Thank you for giving advice.

I don't think it will be sunk, it will be tested at sea in 7 days.

The pool test went well, the short training in the pool is practically just the basics of how to put it all together.

I saw Colleague Massimo's page with Super photos

Marek

Thank you for giving advice.

I don't think it will be sunk, it will be tested at sea in 7 days.

The pool test went well, the short training in the pool is practically just the basics of how to put it all together.

I saw Colleague Massimo's page with Super photos

Marek
If you are interested in a rectilinear lens I recommend the Tamron 17-28 with the smaller 180 wide angle port
The issue with the 16-35 is that the MOD is too big. This lens needs a 12" dome radius dome to work properly unfortunately Nauticam does not make one compatible with this lens

I use the Sony 28-60 behind the WWL-1 wet lens. It's versatile with good image quality.

For learning video have a look at the Youtube channel "Behind the Mask". Link is to a tutorial playlist, but they also have lots of stunning short films for inspiration.

For photography consider "Wetpixel" on Youtube as well as their Website.

Back
Top Bottom