Hosed or Hoseless, computer questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything Devon said + there has been a flood of new technology over the last 4-5 years in relation to tec dive computers. I would not spend big money now for use down the road, as more changes are prolly coming before you are ready to take full advantage of your puter on a tec dive.
Eric

I waited for several years to get a tech computer after getting a couple tech certs. Reason is as others have said, cut tables on v planner or other software or use RGBM tables, plan gas, and use a bottom timer and in my case my Oceanic Veo in gauge mode. When I did decide to pull the trigger on a tech computer I did a butt load of research and one stood out. Shearwater. The Petrel was not out yet and I got a Predator. And if the right deal comes along I'll buy another as back up to it when my OMS bottom timer finally dies.

Or I may go for the Petrel. I don't mind the size of the Predator, some do. But I know it now.

And with Shearwater the support they give is second to none. Upgrades are via download through a Bluetooth connection. No stupid cable to buy. The software for the desktop and dive logging is so damn easy to use.

They regularly update things and those updates are free. When I upgraded mine to the latest firmware it took all of 15 minutes to turn on the computer, pair up the Bluetooth connection, download the upgrade, and put everything away.

And I would strongly advise against buying a computer from a company that clearly has no clue as to what tech divers use. And how they use it. Transmitters? If it does not link up one time it's a piece of junk IMO. If someone were to tell me that their computer does not always synch up right away we are not going into any overhead. That possible failure makes them a liability.

I have to disagree with the hoseless haters, its not a primary gauge but it is very nice to have. but I also have a pressure gauge so if there is an issue with pairing its not a big deal. you just use it like any other computer. I don't see the big deal it is just a creature comfort that some people like.

I have to disagree with the hoseless haters, its not a primary gauge but it is very nice to have. but I also have a pressure gauge so if there is an issue with pairing its not a big deal. you just use it like any other computer. I don't see the big deal it is just a creature comfort that some people like.

Perhaps, you're missing that this thread is in the technical diving section.

When it comes to technical diving, which this thread is addressing; 'creature comforts' don't balance well against intelligent redundancy that considers failure risks.

Last edited:
We have been tracking failure of High Pressure( HP ) hoses ( dive computers w/ HP hoses & SPG's ) against failure of hoseless dive computers. The HP hoses are failing at about the same low rate as the transmitters.

Yep agree with Beaverdivers transmitters make life so much easier the bigger concern is clearance which is easily solved by using a 6" hose rather than have the transmitter protruding from the first stage. Then another computer attached to another high pressure hose directly with air monitoring in case of transmitter or battery failure. Not sure why anyone these days would dive without a computer. Just makes life easier and more precise and eliminates any human error.

Yep agree with Beaverdivers transmitters make life so much easier the bigger concern is clearance which is easily solved by using a 6" hose rather than have the transmitter protruding from the first stage. Then another computer attached to another high pressure hose directly with air monitoring in case of transmitter or battery failure. Not sure why anyone these days would dive without a computer. Just makes life easier and more precise and eliminates any human error.

I'm guessing, again, that this is another post oblivious to this thread being in the 'Technical Diving Specialties' forum area... LOL

BTW... nothing eliminates human error, except effective training, disciplined mindset, application of proper procedures and focus. Even them, 'eliminates' is a strong word..

.... Not sure why anyone these days would dive without a computer. Just makes life easier and more precise and eliminates any human error.
I do use computer for tec dive but leave it on land.
Two bottom timers + pre cut plan on a slate is more than enough for me.
Computer does not eliminate human error, it can create its own.

In a technical context, flying a puter on a dive with an inncurred overhead is something that comes slowly over a lot of dives and maybe years, or maybe never. I dive with people who are comfortable with it, I am not. I NEVER get in the water without cut tables, even though I have a puter.
Eric

Isn't this the 21st century? They use computers to fly the plane that we take to a tropical dive destination. Now we have dive computers that are capable of monitoring up to ten transmitters ( gases ) including trimix. I believe the training needs to catch up to the technology.

Isn't this the 21st century? They use computers to fly the plane that we take to a tropical dive destination. Now we have dive computers that are capable of monitoring up to ten transmitters ( gases ) including trimix. I believe the training needs to catch up to the technology.

If you didn't have such a blazen track history of shamefully promoting anything that might stand a remote chance of increasing your retail revenues, I'd take that seriously.

For now though, the agencies and (most) instructors are in consensus with a K.I.S.S. approach and the use of mechanical over electronic.

Besides which, the most error prone, and potentially fatal, phase of a technical dive is gas switching. Transmitters add to the complexity of gas switches - not only increasing task loading at the most critical moments, but also exposing the user to significant risks should they make an additional error with transmitter switch on their computer. You just can't make that mistake using analogue gauges..

Technology for technology sake doesn't cut the mustard. Especially when the existing methods are time proven and effective.

Convenience doesn't cut the mustard either. Such sentiments only originate from those without a background in technical diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom