Hose swivel or elbow for comfort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taucherguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to reroute my HOG 2nd stage for comfort. Do you guys use an elbow so the hose is rerouted under arm or should I get a swivel adapter like the Omnis?

What do you prefer and why?

Thanks

I have a swivel at the first stage/hose interface, and an angle adapter at the hose/second stage. The swivel tucks everything in tight and going in the right direction, and the angle adapter allows the routing where I want/need it.

edit: I'll clarify by stating that I have a factory non-swivel 1st, and have added swivel fittings to allow for better alignment of hoses (both HP & LP). I have it set so the HP goes straight down on the left, long hose goes straight down on the right, and LPI goes straight forward. The other hoses are not on swivels: DSI goes out and around (actually under left arm), bungied octo is out and around. Both seconds use angle adapters to keep hoses close.

Last edited:
Hose length is the key issue.

The first stage swivel doesn't really move much once everything's hooked up; the LP inflator hose pretty much dictates where it sits.

I want to reroute my HOG 2nd stage for comfort. Do you guys use an elbow so the hose is rerouted under arm or should I get a swivel adapter like the Omnis? What do you prefer and why?
Interesting question. I have not previously used a swivel attached to the first stage, but have now seen reference to that in two recent threads so I need to try it. For single tank diving, I generally do not either a swivel or an elbow, but when I use one, it is a 360 Omni swivel, attached between the second stage and the LP hose. Hose length makes a big difference in whether I need a swivel. If I have a 'proper' hose length (for ME), I don't need one.

With a proper hose and routing you don't need gadgets like a swivel. One more thing to go tits up at the wrong moment.

blanket statements are of little value. Evaluating the objectives, assessing the options, understanding the potential outcomes of the implemented plan, and understanding the reality of a percieved outcome happening are a significantly better approach.

Now, if you presented comments backed by a true unbiased analysis depecting an elevated instance of real life failures of significant magnitude based on a specific product, one may find it useful to aid in avoidance.

If you want to play the "potential point of failure" game as the sole basis of everything, you probably shouldn't dive at all.....

There are good and bad solutions as well as good and bad products.

my wife uses a routing under her arm with 40" hose and a right angle adapter at the 2nd stage. i doubt if either of your hoses will be long enough for such a routing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom