Hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flamebug818

Reaction score
Southern california all ways want a dive buddy
# of dives
50 - 99
hi i dive a 36lb pioneer with halcyon bp

i have a dive rite reg with a 7' primary hose,
i discover it it rides up as i do not have a canister light to route it under.
i have heard of using a cargo pocket for this
any advise on where to find it.??

I've read of people using a pocket that mounts on your waist strap to secure the hose. There is a picture on the internet that shows this - I can't seem to find it. Here is a picture of a Dive Rite pocket.

If you're using a single tank you could switch to a 5' hose. I havn't used one so somebody else will have to comment.

Another option if you don't want to get waist pocket or new hose is to tuck a small loop of excess hose into your belt. It can still be pulled out like normal but might be a bit harder to replace.

Tuck it in the belt?

PerroneFord:
Tuck it in the belt?
What is it that your don't understand? If you don't have a can light the excess hose has to go somewhere. So stuffing it in your waist strap is one way.

Some people put a second knife on that side to hold the hose if you don't have a light, but that is an X-Man thing.

I use a 5ft hose. Works great.

PerroneFord:
I use a 5ft hose. Works great.
I used to use one, but I found it to be odd ball compromise. So I went with a 7ft for my cold water stuff and a 40" for my www stuff. YMMV

My experience is that the hose loop has to be very long in order to stay under the webbing. When the webbing is thightened properly, I also find it somewhat cumbersome to put it back after a S-drill.

JeffG:
What is it that your don't understand? If you don't have a can light the excess hose has to go somewhere. So stuffing it in your waist strap is one way.

Some people put a second knife on that side to hold the hose if you don't have a light, but that is an X-Man thing.

I'm not familiar with the term "X-man thing", but I actually use a second knife in order to keep the hose in place. In this way the movement for releasing the long hose is almost the same as when you have a cannister primary. The pocket would do the same thing.

Tucking the excess into the belt works great for me... I used to use a 5 ft hose but found that sometimes it would float up behind my head—the 7 ft is very snug (as it is tucked in and you can control the length of the hose from your waist to your second stage) and much more “rule #6” compliant.

pred:
My experience is that the hose loop has to be very long in order to stay under the webbing. When the webbing is thightened properly, I also find it somewhat cumbersome to put it back after a S-drill.

We use a 7ft hose for obvious reasons, the added benefit is that it easily tucks away almost anywhere in the webbing/light can etc. With a shorter hose (say 5ft) you could tuck it under the knife in the front. Not the ideal place, but as long as it doesn't hang loose I think it should be okay. Having difficulties tucking it in after drills, could be that the waist strap is too tight, or the hose loop may be too short compared to your torso length? If this is the case I would suggest that you get some 'holder' on the right where you can tuck the excess slack under/behind.

Alternatively: after OOG drill, tuck loop in at the front of waist strap, pull over to the right hand side. This of course is only when you do not have a can (or any other 'loop holder') on the right hand side. But you will have to loosen the waist strap a bit..... the hose can get uncomfortable on the hips after a while under a tight waist strap. And it could be difficult to deploy..

Bottom line: try what works for you, the goal is NOT to have a hanging/slacking long hose that can be deployed easily. I dont think the 'DIR police' would give you a ticket for tucking in here or there.......

I have a Halcyon zippered pocket that holds the 7 footer nicely. It is pretty heavy duty and comes with a d-ring mounted inside. It attaches to your 2" waist strap in place of the cannister light and also bolts up to the back plate.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom