Hose routing question - re: FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

OK - so most of my diving this year has been with a Guardian FFM. My Dive buddy has one as well and between the cold water protection in NJ, the communications ( which we love and make tying in and untying much safer, and the less jaw fatigue, both of us are pretty much exclusively diving these - for now, for recreational depths.

I have been switching back and forth between doibles and single tank diving and it is a PITA with swapping hoses for a twin setup, and a single set up with a pony.

Thank being said - I am likely ordering a se tof the HOG D1 coldwater regs for a doubles setup and keeping my zeagles exclusively for single tank and pony diving - and I have a few hose questions.

Any dive between 80 and 130 - I will be using the FFM. But - I will also be using the standard second stage from time to time as we venture a little deeper( yes - proper training is ongoing so please dont turn this into a get the training thread - as we are both currently getting the appropriate training and our instructer is with us when we dive)
Now to the questions - should I order a primary 7' hose for the appropriate hose routing and use the 7' hose for BOTH the FFM and the standard second stage (when we switch back and forth) to keep hose routing consistent? Really - the advantage of the 7' hose us nullified with the FFM - we cant donate the entire mask. (keep in mind that the reg is removeable from the mask - but not underwater!!!!!) but -by still using the 7' hose with the FFM would keep a standard hose routing and configuration to get confortable with.

OR - order a second stage with 7' primary hose and dive it when needed - and a shorter lp hose for when diving with the FFM?

I have no experience whatsoever with either but I'd say common sense dictates shorter hose with the FFM. Extra hose length is just going to get in the way and present potential hazards (even us unlikely as they may be) for getting hung up on something.

I have no experience whatsoever with either but I'd say common sense dictates shorter hose with the FFM. Extra hose length is just going to get in the way and present potential hazards (even us unlikely as they may be) for getting hung up on something.

I can see why you might say that - but the 7' hose routes nicely and protrodues less than most people second stage hoses that are usually to long and stick out to the side before coming back towards the mouth.

Here is another possibility to use a FFM with the standard Hogarthian hose set having a short and long hose.

FFM on short hose and backup reg on long hose clipped off on chest D-Ring. You donate the long hose and can use a breakaway (like a thin O-ring) to 'unclip' it faster.
One disadvantage is that you can get a roll-off on your FFM since it is on the left post (not very likely in OW).

Here is another possibility to use a FFM with the standard Hogarthian hose set having a short and long hose.

FFM on short hose and backup reg on long hose clipped off on chest D-Ring. You donate the long hose and can use a breakaway (like a thin O-ring) to 'unclip' it faster.
One disadvantage is that you can get a roll-off on your FFM since it is on the left post (not very likely in OW).

Not a bad idea - but cant I put the short hose on the right post to avoid the roll off? The Guardian has the reg on the opposite side as the AGA and with a swivel - I think a very short hose mught work - then the long hose on the left post? Is there a way to route the long hos eoff of the left post?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom