Hose Routing for MK17?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This came up this past weekend, helping a bud setup his two sets of regs for use on doubles for the first time. I realized I've never actually done the routing with MK17, and at the time, in the field, I wasn't able to find the photo I had once saved. (I thought I had it saved on my iPhone but turned out I didn't.) I realized I've been working with MK25 routing (and the identical routing used by Atomic regs) that I wasn't 100% sure what the best way was.

In searching the net, I found two photos showing slightly different routing. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the best method.

HoseRouting-MK17.jpg

HoseRouting-MK17-Alt.jpg

I assume the larger one is the correct way, since it seems to match the DS4 routing recommended over on DIR-Diver.com:

regs_front_large.jpg

First stages look fine to me. The hose routing on the DS4s is always a bit wonky compared to the mk20/25/Atomics. Tilt, not tilt seems to not matter much in the grand scheme of things.

But for god's sake fix the boltsnap ties, 1) use proper cave line and 2) put the snaps where they are supposed to be.

First stages look fine to me. The hose routing on the DS4s is always a bit wonky compared to the mk20/25/Atomics. Tilt, not tilt seems to not matter much in the grand scheme of things.

But for god's sake fix the boltsnap ties, 1) use proper cave line and 2) put the snaps where they are supposed to be.

Those are random shots I found around the net (and then the apeks one from dir-diver.com). NOT my gear, and NOT the gear I helped set up for my buddy. They're just the only shots I could find of MK17s.

Just to be clear. :D

Those are random shots I found around the net (and then the apeks one from dir-diver.com). NOT my gear, and NOT the gear I helped set up for my buddy. They're just the only shots I could find of MK17s.

Just to be clear. :D

:lotsalove:
Looks like someone decided to make oring breakaways?? Or are those the "new" little bungie twists I saw for sale someplace?? (I have a feeling Gombessa would know who's selling those do-dads)

I can't entirely tell, but regardless they look way out of place.

If I had DS4s or mk17s I think I would splurge for milflex hoses on the backup and wing inflator, but that's probably just because I have SP regs and the bends look so icky to me.

:lotsalove:
Looks like someone decided to make oring breakaways?? Or are those the "new" little bungie twists I saw for sale someplace?? (I have a feeling Gombessa would know who's selling those do-dads)

I can't entirely tell, but regardless they look way out of place.

If I had DS4s or mk17s I think I would splurge for milflex hoses on the backup and wing inflator, but that's probably just because I have SP regs and the bends look so icky to me.

Yeah... certainly not the way I would choose to set up my gear, but you get what you pay for. LOL If I end up setting my friend's gear up again, I'll see if I can take a shot of my own so there's finally a decent reference shot out there.

I'd go Miflex, too, if those were my regs, but you work with what you're handed. *shrug* I think I told him go Miflex for the LP hose and secondary reg, now that I think about it, but he decided to buy an all-in-one hose kit from LP so he went all rubber. Can't be all bad, I guess, since tech divers have been doing it with regular hoses for a long time.

Since I have MK25's and Atomics, it's not my problem, of course. :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom