Hose retainers. Where and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people want a breakaway on the long hose for sidemount because you made be on your short hose at some point and your buddy goes OOG. I've always seen more dangling second stages where breakaways have done their job at an inappropriate time.

Personally, it's easy enough to unclip, and I don't worry about it. I've never had an OOG situation that was so immediate and surprising that I couldn't take the half second to unclip and donate.

It doesn't need to break away. It's never clipped to a d-ring while normal diving. It's there to hold it while setting up gear, while on the surface, etc. Or if you are out of air and using a buddies regulator, you can clip it off. Why would you need to rip the bolt snap off the hose? If you ever need to really get it off, slip a knife under and it will cut through easier than a big zip tie.
Ah, I see. In typical SM diving, the long-hose regulator is the emergency-donation hose. It comes off your right tank, runs diagonally up your chest, goes around the back of your neck from left to right, and then gets clipped off on your top-right D-ring.

If there's an air-share emergency, you'd take that clipped-off second stage and donate it to your buddy, just as you would if diving a long-hose primary regulator. A breakaway tie-in is desirable on that 2nd stage because if you fumble the clip and don't provide the 2nd stage promptly, your OOA buddy might get desperate and/or start inhaling water.

Don’t use zip ties, tie cave line around to hold boltsnap. Don’t put one on your necklace reg aka backup only for you. Use smallest boltsnap you can find, SS with SS springs, don’t get brass or suicide clips.

I’ve been told they last a good few years even with 300+ dives a year.

A couple of thoughts on some comments made in the thread.
Seaweed Doc:
Were you trained to pass your primary off to an out-of-air buddy, or your octo? (I'm guessing @tbone1004 would recommend the primary, but PADI teaches octopus....)
Actually, you may have seen a particular PADI shop, or two, teaching this way, and some of the videos show active donation of the donor's alternate, but that isn't intended to suggest that approach to be the only acceptable method. The PADI organization does not specify alternate / secondary / octopus donate, vs primary donate. What PADI teaches is that an 'alternate air source' should be supplied to an OOA diver, real or simulated (e.g. in training). That 'alternate' is something other than the recipient's own air source, it is not necessarily the donor's alternate. So, if I donate the second stage that is in my mouth - i.e. use primary donate - and go to my bungee necklaced alternate second stage, I am fully meeting the performance requirement of providing an 'alternate air source'.

Having something dangling from my regulator would drive me nuts.
I dive with a small bolt snap attached near the end on my long hose. I have honestly never even noticed it 'dangling' there. It might seem like it could be an irritant, but if you try it you quickly realize that it is not at all bothersome. I also use the Brent Hemphill method that tbone mentioned, and I find that I DO notice the bungee cord (not the bolt snap, just the cord) with that approach. It isn't a problem, and the system is really amazingly slick and easy to set up. But I do notice the bungee cord running across the top of the mouthpiece.

Last edited:
it certainly causes it to dangle, but I have a much preferred method of dealing with bolt snaps on regs courtesy of Brett Hemphill

That looks harder to clip with thick gloves as you can’t feed the hose into your hand then clip because the regs in the way?

Ain't no kill like overkill...but I'm a bit mystified. What is the context of such a complex tie-in for placing a swiveling boltsnap on a 2nd-stage hose? For the sidemount diving that I do, this tie-in would seem to be an actively bad idea, as I want a tie-in that can break away in case of emergencies.
In case of emergencies cut it off.

In the meantime, you want something that can’t come off unless you really want it off, kind of like the simplistic one piece harness.

In case of emergencies cut it off.

In the meantime, you want something that can’t come off unless you really want it off, kind of like the simplistic one piece harness.
No. Please read posts #52 and 53.

That looks harder to clip with thick gloves as you can’t feed the hose into your hand then clip because the regs in the way?

it is certainly optimal for gloveless diving as this guy is a cave explorer where we don't use gloves. I regularly dive with 5mm gloves and don't have a problem with it, but it would certainly be more difficult with thicker gloves and may not be ideal for that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom