Hose replace/repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Last hose that started leaking at the coupler, I just replaced it. But can it be repaired? I never thought about how these things work, so I peered down into one. Do I see a small O-Ring down there? Can it be replaced?
Thanks!
Rick

Which hose?

Every scuba hose has o-rings at both ends, some are easier to change than others.

For the second stage end or the quick connect for the BC inflator the o-ring is small and hard to get to. You usually use a pick to get the old one out and don't even think about reusing it.

I usually try cleaning and lubing the o-ring first. To do that I use a little lube (silicone or crystolube) on the end of a Q-tip. Inspect carefully to be sure you don't leave any fibers in there.

If the leak is from the hose then replacement is the way to go.

pipedope once bubbled...
Which hose?

Every scuba hose has o-rings at both ends, some are easier to change than others.

For the second stage end or the quick connect for the BC inflator the o-ring is small and hard to get to. You usually use a pick to get the old one out and don't even think about reusing it.

I usually try cleaning and lubing the o-ring first. To do that I use a little lube (silicone or crystolube) on the end of a Q-tip. Inspect carefully to be sure you don't leave any fibers in there.

If the leak is from the hose then replacement is the way to go.
The hose is the one to my BC inflator - the coupler end, not the LP connection. I tested it by connecting it to my dry suit also, and it still leaks. Not the hose tubing itself, but from the female connection. So you're saying it's possible to pick out the O-Ring and insert another?

end of the LP inflator hose.

It may be loose and can be tightened.

If not, pull the Schrader valve and replace the oring.

Hope this helps.

Chris
COVCI

If it leaks when disconnected it is the schrader valve.

If it only leaks when connected then it is likely the o-ring.
Look in the end of the coupler, see the lock balls? Just past them is the o-ring. You can pick it out *carefully*. You don't wnat to nick or scratch the metal. I use a homemade brass pick.

Chris, what is the size of that o-ring?

pipedope once bubbled...
If it leaks when disconnected it is the schrader valve.

If it only leaks when connected then it is likely the o-ring.
Look in the end of the coupler, see the lock balls? Just past them is the o-ring. You can pick it out *carefully*. You don't wnat to nick or scratch the metal. I use a homemade brass pick.

Chris, what is the size of that o-ring?
Pipedope, you are always there with good advise. Thanks!
Yeah, it only leaks when it's plugged in. Getting that O-Ring out doesnt sem to be too difficult, but getting the new one back in..??? I have a hemostat that might help.:confused:

Ohhh that sounds like fun.:D

Lube the o-ring so that it is lightly coated with lube, no globs or dry spots. Fold it in half and slide it in the hole. Then using a tool (I usually use a chopstick or two) push and pull the o-ring into place.

I sometimes use metal tools in these things but it is safer to use tools that can't scratch anything in there.

pipedope once bubbled...
Ohhh that sounds like fun.:D
Not in the last 15 years! I use it to remove fish hooks.
REALLY!!

Anyway, replaced the O-Ring, used Crystalube (SP) and it didn't fix it. So, guess this is becoming more trouble than just replacing it.
Thanks for the help!

Rick Inman once bubbled...

The hose is the one to my BC inflator - the coupler end, not the LP connection. I tested it by connecting it to my dry suit also, and it still leaks. Not the hose tubing itself, but from the female connection. So you're saying it's possible to pick out the O-Ring and insert another?

I replace it on every unit I service. It really is not hard to do. It is the same size as the one on 3/8 hose. Aqualung number 8200-11 or R-11 if you use the typical generic brand. You will find it is easier to install than to get out and that is a piece of cake.

Hall

I have the opposite problem. I have a fairly new (used 4 times) LP hose for my dry suit that leaks when it is disconnected, but functions fine when it is connected to my drysuit or bc inflator.

From the previous posts I believe it is the Schrader Valve (if thats the little pin inside the connector that releases air when pushed in) that is leaking. How do you remove the schrader valve to clean it? Do you simply screw it out with some needle nose pliers?

Thanks for the Help,
Lance

Back
Top Bottom