Hose rearrangements in service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just of note, when I got my reg back from tuning, I did not take a good look at it and only watched the guy in the shop checking it with a tank to make sure it worked OK. When it came to diving, though, I found that all hoses except BC inflation were switched: the gear was on right, the octopus was on the left, and the 2nd stage was in the front back position where the octopus should be. Luckily, I had my multi-tool with me. My reg is the L-shaped type so it is a bit tricky, but anyway, always check where the hoses are when getting your regs back.

Last edited:
Every diver should be able to remove and replace hoses. Just don't try to crank them down tight. Turn them by hand, just until they stop then put a wrench on it and "tweek" it maybe 1/10 of a turn tighter. Brass is soft and can be stripped / stretched if you apply too much pressure.

Just of note, when I got my reg back from tuning, I did not take a good look at it and only watched the guy in the shop checking it with a tank to make sure it worked OK. When it came to diving, though, I found that all hoses except BC inflation were switched: the gear was on right, the octopus was on the left, and the 2nd stage was in the front back position where the octopus should be. Luckily, I had my multi-tool with me. My reg is the L-shaped type so it is a bit tricky, but anyway, always check where the hoses are when getting your regs back.

Look at the bright side. That much disassembly is a pretty good indication that he actually serviced your 1st stage

I always sketch a diagram of the reg and hose routing before dis-assembly for servicing - just for this reason.

I always sketch a diagram of the reg and hose routing before dis-assembly for servicing - just for this reason.

And I always check it before walking out of the shop because not every tech is that thoughtful.

What? How do you not just KNOW where the hoses go. You're not rebuilding a transmission. You probably only have a few options and if you do it wrong, you just move it.

Did you flip the reg over to see if the hose orientation was correct but upside down?
If you flip over the L-shaped reg, the rotating head will be looking up, not down. I never tried this but looks like I'd have to fasten the tank as low as possible to avoid constantly bumping the back of my head against it. The gear would be on the left but the octopus and BC inflation house will still be on the same side. Since the inflation hose must be on my left, I'll have to dive with 3 houses on my left, which would be kinda clumsy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom