hose protectors and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icarusflies

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All;

I was reading DIR fundamentals and I was surprised to see that DIR requires to install hose protectors in the first stage. The first thing that my tech friends told me several dives ago was to throw away the hose protectors and damn they were hard to get off the hoses !!!!!!!!!!. So for your DIR divers, can you confirm that hose protectors are required

Thanks

I'm not DIR, totally, yet... but, I thought I read somewhere in Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving or the Dress for Success (or in one of my many hours online) that it was recommend to take them off as it allows the hose to bend morre natural and it's not "forced". I'll see if I can find where I read that and let you know for sure.

Michael

Hose protectors have a place. If the hose is in a stressed potition, then a hose protector might be a good idea, but (theres always a caveat) you have to be diligent in making sure the hose is in good condition and rinsing underneath the protector. I believe Mr. Jabonski commented on this on the Quest list not to long ago.

That being said, most regulator configurations allow for decent to good hose routing, and therefor, most "DIR" types leave them off. I personally do not use them, nor do I know anyone that does.

PfcAJ has a good point. Remember that part of what GUE encourages is choosing the right tools for the job. So if you have a first stage that lends itself to a couple of tight hose turns close to the threads, a hose protector might be in order. But if you don't need it, don't put it on. It is true that debris can get trapped under them, and they can conceal areas where the hose is going bad. REGARDLESS, this is why proper pre-dive safety checks are so useful (and required). Doing a "bubble check" with your buddies prior to descending will allow you to catch the beginnings of a hose failure before it becomes a bigger issue.

We discussed this in my fundies class a few weeks back. One person had hose protectors, Steve said they are fine, but not needed in most instances, and that they can trap salt as well as hide lurking hose issues. I think the "right tool for the job" or "everything has its place" answers above capture GUE's position on them . . .

I use the soft Oceanic hose protectors on my back gas regs as the metal ends connecting the first stages (FSTs) to the inflator LP hose and backup reg hose tend to rub against the wing (Evolve 40), and the long hose is under a bit of stress. I don't bother with hose protectors on my stage/deco regs. Yes, you have to make sure to rinse under the protectors and inspect before every dive.

Thank you all for the feed back.

I ll leave them off for the moment then. My personal feeling is that hose protectors do more harm than good.

I use the soft Oceanic hose protectors ...
Oceanic has the best hose protectors out there, that I've found anyway.
They have just enough meat on them to protect the hose from a nasty bump (or abrading something) and they're minimal enough to allow easy movement before & after every dive to inspect & clean the critters.

I use Oceanic protector too. It is short and soft.

I am using a hose protector because my DS4's hose routing on AL80 aren't as nice as it would be on steel tanks. There are some obvious stress on them.

But as discussed, I always make sure the protectors aren't hiding anything under them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom