Hose less AI computer .... for diver n00bs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pancakey

New
Reaction score
I and a few friends have been recently certified and are looking for an AI hose less wrist computer.

As it stands now we are leaning to the Uwatech Air Z but I'm concerned about the age of the product and from what I’ve been reading, the software seems like a joke.

Could anyone advise me on what some of the alternatives are?
Basically we are looking for a computer that can stand up the extreme demands of Recreational Diving consisting of beach diving in So Cal. and a trips to Mexico and Australia

If you have definitely decided on a hoseless computer, it shouldn't be very difficult to choose. There are very few models that are currently produced:

Suunto Vytec
Uwatec Aladin Z Nitrox
Cochran Gemini
and Pelagic cousins (Aeris Atmos Elite, Oceanic VT Pro …)

I cannot think of anything else.

Cochrans are quite functional, but notorious for being quirky.
Atmos Elite & VT Pro models just came out this year, no feedback yet. Older hoseless models (750GT & Data Trans Plus) were OK, but it depends on whom you talk to.
Uwatec – you did your own research. I think they are good computers, but not worth the $$$.
Suunto Vytec definitely offers more bang for your money than Aladin. And Suuntos are generally well regarded, but still people run into problems now and then.

When I was on a market shopping for a computer, I wanted AI, and I wanted hoseless, and I got one, and it works great.

But after a couple dozens dives, I fully realized that AI feature is right next to useless.

I continue to dive it, but only because I already got one. If I were buying a new computer, it wouldn't be AI.

Check out this thread.

Personally I think the AI feature is great. I use a Vytec. That thread Lemonade pointed you to already has a lot of opinions and reviews if you can wade through the 4 pages :) and is worth checking out.

Thanks for all the feedback
I love this board already!

One more question...

I know the Air Z is capable of storing 200 minutes of dive info (seems low doesn't it?)

Does anyone here have information about the other units and how much dive info they can store?

Thanks again!

The VT Pro by Oceanic stores your last 24 dives I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom