Hose Dryer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good idea. You might add a thread in the Rebreather forum with a link to this. They have an even bigger need to clean and dry hoses and the breathing bags. I can move this thread to the DIY forum if you prefer.

I have seen rebreather divers buy cheap travel hair dryers and modify the switch so the heating elements are disconnected. They modify the piece that snaps on the end of the dryer to fit the corrugated hose.

Good idea. You might add a thread in the Rebreather forum with a link to this. They have an even bigger need to clean and dry hoses and the breathing bags. I can move this thread to the DIY forum if you prefer.

I have seen rebreather divers buy cheap travel hair dryers and modify the switch so the heating elements are disconnected. They modify the piece that snaps on the end of the dryer to fit the corrugated hose.
I'll drop a note over there. Not sure how great it will do for them.... It's super low pressure (think tiny draft running through it), but I'll let them be the judge.

I'll drop a note over there. Not sure how great it will do for them.... It's super low pressure (think tiny draft running through it), but I'll let them be the judge.

Rebreather divers regularly disassemble the loop in order to clean it. All the bacteria they exhale during the whole dive is trapped so it is a lot easier to grow a fungus farm than on a open circuit double hose, especially in the tropics.

Rebreathes come with screw-on connections for the loop rather than hose clamps to make it easier.

1661268137281.png

While not huge amounts if those aren't brushless motor fans they could produce small amounts of ozone that would reduce the life of the tubes. Probably not a huge issue, but just something to be aware of.

While not huge amounts if those aren't brushless motor fans they could produce small amounts of ozone that would reduce the life of the tubes. Probably not a huge issue, but just something to be aware of.
Ozone is an issue for neoprene/rubber corrugated hoses. Is ozone an issue for silicone hoses, too?

rx7diver

Ozone is an issue for neoprene/rubber corrugated hoses. Is ozone an issue for silicone hoses, too?

rx7diver

Not silicone but if there are any rubber parts inside it would degrade them, i'm not 100% sure on the parts of a DH OC reg so sort of assumed there would be rubber somewhere in there.

When rinsing the CCR loop, spray in some Chemgene disinfectant and leave for a while.

Biggest issue is the loop doesn't dry out very well as there's no air circulation unless there's some forced air. Concern about that is adversely affecting the mushroom valves.

Often think that it would be nice to have some soft thin hose which is 5cm/2" shorter than the hose and pushed up the hose; this can have some air gently blown up it so that it dries from the mouthpiece end. Thinking the thin hose one uses for gas analysis, with a small centrifugal fan blowing air though the hoses.

Ideal 3D printing opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom