DIY Tank inspection light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James79

Reinventor of Wheels
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had made an inspection light a while back for an internet friend, and then more recently offered one to another.... then life got in the way and I took forever making it. With it taking so long any way, I went ahead and took the time to do it right (or as right as any of my projects get!).

Parts:
Tank Light Parts.jpg

Across the top is one giant zip tie (36 inch from Harbor Freight). On the left is a salvaged wall wort that puts out 11 volt DC that I cut the barrel plug off. Next to that is the 3d printed housing, lid, knob, and 10k potentiometer. Next is the roll of LED light strip (I used 2 segments of it, about 8.5 inches), and then a spool of low voltage parallel wire. Not pictured is a roll of 3/8 inch clear heat shrink.
Printed parts:
Printed parts.jpg

The lid for the housing has nubs on the bottom to capture the head of the ziptie, and the housing proper is notched for the wires and ziptie.

Wiring is simple, negative from power supply to negative to LED, positive from power supply to center prong of potentiometer, positive to LED to an outboard prong of the potentiometer (which prong you use determines which direction on the knob increases brightness). I wired this one to be clockwise=brighter:
Wired up.jpg

After that, I assembled the housing and ziptied it together with a small ziptie (in case my mediocre solder job needs help), soldered the parallel wires to the positive and negative pads on the LED strip, and attached the LED strip to the end of the ziptie (the LED strip I have is sticky backed). Slide the clear heat shrink over the length of it and shrink it with a heat gun, and Bob's your uncle:
Full dim:
Light Assembled dim.jpg

Full bright:
Light assembled bright.jpg

STL files attached, in case anyone wants to print the housing and make their own. Body is the housing, Body001 is the lid, Body002 is the knob.

Respectfully,

James

Attachments

• Giant Zip Ties.jpg
    Giant Zip Ties.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 63
  • LED strip.jpg
    LED strip.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 70
  • TankInspectionLightHousing2-Body.stl
    246 KB · Views: 79
  • TankInspectionLightHousing2-Body001.stl
    271.8 KB · Views: 83
  • TankInspectionLightHousing2-Body002.stl
    77.4 KB · Views: 67
Using LED strip-lights and shrink-tubing is fairly clever. I make something similar.

Using LED strip-lights and shrink-tubing is fairly clever. I make something similar.
I used sticky backed LED strip, but I don't trust the sticky stuff long term... and the heat shrink also manages the wire nicely without adding a lot of thickness.

I got one of these under cabinet light bars from Amazon. Works just fine.
That's a great turn key solution! Part of the inspiration for my design was a friend whose LDS wouldn't vis vintage 1/2 NPT tanks due to their inspection light not fitting through the tiny neck, so this was made specifically to fit in skinny neck tanks (1/2 NPT and the rarer 1/2 NPS that sportsways did).
Respectfully,

James

Back
Top Bottom