Hose Dryer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James79

Reinventor of Wheels
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Because randomness, and I'm trying to figure out better storage and transport of DH regs, I found myself wanting a reasonable way to dry hoses quick-ish. So I threw together an old 5v wall wart, a couple 30x10mm 5v fans left over from an old project, and some printed bushings. Instant low velocity hose blower/dryer:

NjNWejL.jpg

Al08tqY.jpg

Respectfully,

James

Cool! I just hold one end and spin them above my head, launching droplets of water everywhere. o_O
That's still step one, lol. I still have some of the old neoprene hoses, and need them truly dry before packing away.... And the convolutions just seem to stay damp forever if I don't get air circulating in there.

Nice little blowers.

I have tried a number of different blowers to dry my hose loop, without taking the entire loop apart.

Too much flow and it can actually rip the one way valves, so I don't do that anymore. Gentle, continues flow, seems to work best.

I like to dry my hose loop when I am done diving for the weekend. Ok, I just retired, so I am not sure why I am still thinking about weekends...

Here are a couple of pictures (in my basement) of a couple of different 12 volt blowers that I use.

The vacuum cleaner on the right blows way too hard, but I still use it for some flow testing. It has never been used to pick-up any dust or dirt.

20220704_185225.jpg

20220704_185245.jpg

Is it OK to occasionally throw silicone hoses into the washing machine gentle /cold cycle to scrub them out? I shudder to think what resides inside my exhaust hose.

Is it OK to occasionally throw silicone hoses into the washing machine gentle /cold cycle to scrub them out? I shudder to think what resides inside my exhaust hose.
Bryan at VDH has a write up about the washing machine for hoses.... I just wash them in the sink with dish soap, and rarely a long, soft bottle brush (like for cleaning a CamelBak).

Bryan at VDH has a write up about the washing machine for hoses.... I just wash them in the sink with dish soap, and rarely a long, soft bottle brush (like for cleaning a CamelBak).

On rare occasions I also clean the inside of my hoses with a bottle brush. But I still think that drying the inside as soon as possible is the best way to control any potential growth.

OK, I am not a biologist… not even close…

My observations is from cleaning and drying wetsuit and wet suit booties are that the quicker I dry them (with blowing air) the fresher they stay and the less they smell. This was particularly true with my old kayaking booties. I tried many different chemical and cleaners, but drying them quickly with forced air worked much better that anything else.

I am obviously making several assumptions by directly relating the smell with biological growth… so please correct me if I am wrong. Note: Fresh water diving (or kayaking) appear to produce the strongest biological load and smell if not rinsed and dried.

In any case, my hoses never smell, but I am still under the impression that by drying them with gentle forced air it will not give much of a chance for bacteria to grow.

Note: I am totally open to some knowledge by someone that actually knows something about biology.

Added: for wetsuit, Sink the Stink does seem to help a lot, but I still use some form of fan to dry ASAP.

For hoses, I would not use anything stronger than dish washing soap.

Wait! We're supposed to dry the inside of our DH hoses? Supposed to wash and dry the inside?

I have only ever just used potable (chlorinated) drinking water from a garden hose, with the can mounted on a cylinder and pressurized. So, I suppose this means I actually have never cleaned/flushed the inhale side ...

ETA: @scrane, we were posting simultaneously. Thanks for posting the VDH instructions.

rx7diver

James,
Sorry for the hi-jack. I found the procedure you referred to here:
Thanks.
No worries at all... More good info getting shared is always better!
I have only ever just used potable (chlorinated) drinking water from a garden hose, with the can mounted on a cylinder and pressurized. So, I suppose this means I actually have never cleaned/flushed the inhale side ...
In theory, as long as they get dried nothing gets a chance to grow... And the inhale side should stay dry as long as there's no leaks into the mechanism side can. I scrub new to me hoses, after that it's rinse and dry unless I start to feel there's a particular reason to scrub them out.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom