Question Horrible Mouth and Throat Infection After Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my divers had this mouth infection and claiming it to be from our regulators. In my 20 plus years in the industry I have never seen this occur. Has anyone seen this before?
View attachment 856237
That would have been my first thought too. What do you use to sanitize your regulators between users?

Bet regards,
DDM

That would have been my first thought too. What do you use to sanitize your regulators between users?

Bet regards,
DDM

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are referring to when you say "That would have been my first thought too."

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are referring to when you say "That would have been my first thought too."
Sorry... my first thought would have been that it was an infection from an insufficiently sanitized regulator, as the customer said.

Human saliva contains about 100000-1000000 bacteria per milliliter. A normal immune system should be able to cope with everything there is without reacting by producing ulcerating lesions on your lips. Even if the regulator was not perfectly sterile such a reaction should not occur.

However some people react more sensitively to pressure and materials and thus produce lesions after using things like a regulator.

As I said before it is impossible to say without further examinations you would need to at least make a swap to test for unusual bacteria. Often these lesions in the oral region that appear white in the center with an inflammated border a not caused by bacteria but by stress or other factors.

Or just a coincidental flare-up of shingles?

Shingles almost never crosses the centerline of the body - it goes left or right. The picture of the upper lip looks to be across the midline of the body.

Could be run of the mill HSV of the mouth, although the ulcerations do look more like ulcers than blisters, but it can be hard to say from a photo.

It is impossible to say for sure just by looking at the pictures.

Looks like oral aphtosis to me.

White oral ulcerations - aphthosis would be my $0.50 guess as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom