Hopping my way to full cave...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, thanks @rddvet: I’ve never seen such a comprehensive description of how to get through that area. That’s awesome.

My goal for the next time I’m able to get into a cave is to go as absolutely slow as I can and try to figure out how to be as smooth as possible. I love the idea of @Manatee Diver just going back-and-forth through there. I want to do an hour long 300 foot cave dive and just work on getting better... next I’ll have to see about finding a buddy who will be patient enough while I do it. :)
When diving OC in ginnie, the slower the better. It's easy to blow through a ton of gas and retain some CO2 leading to an even higher sac rate if you go too fast. It took me a very long time to slow down in the gallery. When you're fighting the flow it's easy to just want to go fast and get past it. When I was very new, I hit 1/3s at the lips and the keyhole several times.
Not going to lie, I've been out of the water for a little over 3 months due to a PFO closure. I should be free to dive again mid-November. I fully expect Ginnie is going to spank my ass when I go back

Well a bit of an update, last week I went to Ginnie with a friend and got my butt handed to me. It has been 10 months since the last time I actually did a cave dive at Ginnie.

Today I decided I got go and practice going down the gallery, I spent an hour going back and forth from the eye to the lips, going slow to look for the good hand holds and a good path down the gallery. Felt a lot better, but still a lot of work.
can't give a better description than @rddvet which is what I do when on OC without a DPV *please never make me do that again.... :)*. In OC sidemount it's a little harder to hug the walls than in doubles, so depending on where you are you may want to roll somewhat sideways to allow your inside hand easier access.
One thing I will add though that applies to as a generality to high flow caves. If there is not a rock in front of your face, you're in the wrong place. R said that several times in his description and it's important to try to hide behind the rocks whenever you can.

can't give a better description than @rddvet which is what I do when on OC without a DPV *please never make me do that again.... :)*.

"please never make me do that again"? Really?? (yeah I saw the smiley)

Look, swimming in Ginnie's not hard unless a person makes it hard. The easiest way to swim in Ginnie is to go easy - swim at a slower pace (10m per minute is ideal), there's a huge difference in walking 500 yards and sprinting full out for 500 yards, one would leave you ready to go again the other would leave you gasping - consider that when you're swimming against flow - walk it, don't sprint it.

Read the cave and see which wall would have the least flow; if the passage turns right, hug the right wall, if it turns left, hug the left wall - this will keep you in the least flow.

Hide behind outcroppings - it's the same thing as hiding behind an 18 wheeler on the interstate - the slab at the lips is a great example, so are the two giant boulders before the keyhole - hide behind those things.

"please never make me do that again"? Really?? (yeah I saw the smiley)

Look, swimming in Ginnie's not hard unless a person makes it hard. The easiest way to swim in Ginnie is to go easy - swim at a slower pace (10m per minute is ideal), there's a huge difference in walking 500 yards and sprinting full out for 500 yards, one would leave you ready to go again the other would leave you gasping - consider that when you're swimming against flow - walk it, don't sprint it.

Read the cave and see which wall would have the least flow; if the passage turns right, hug the right wall, if it turns left, hug the left wall - this will keep you in the least flow.

Hide behind outcroppings - it's the same thing as hiding behind an 18 wheeler on the interstate - the slab at the lips is a great example, so are the two giant boulders before the keyhole - hide behind those things.
yes really! don't disagree with anything you said, hence the smiley. That said, I typically go at crawling pace through the gallery when I'm on a DPV because it's so beautiful and I can take in a lot more when I'm going at a snails pace on the trigger and can take it all in without having to focus so much on where to hide from the flow and find a handhold. If I'm on CCR then I don't worry so much about taking that amount of time in that space because I have essentially unlimited time to appreciate it, though having both is certainly preferable.

At the start just about the sign, I felt comfortable going no straight up but sort of forward on the left hand side of the wall.

I would then get to that area where there is little flow near the big rock and one of the entrances to the catacombs. Stop get my buoyancy right, shift so air into my legs to keep them up. The next section I am able to get up to the final height and pull on the right hand sand it was really easy, lots of great pull sports, until I get to that doghead just before the lips. That always makes a great resting point.

But I will go next Friday and see how the left side looks.

Well spent the past couple of days this weekend really working over the gallery, spent almost three hours. Probably looked crazy to anyone pass by as I know at least one team passed me on their entry and exit.

I think I got a really good feel for it to the point that my gas usage going down is not much more than floating back. Though I don’t take the direct route back, I went slow and looked around appreciating the Gallery. I was comfortable, though no completely so.

The first thing I noticed that the gallery has four distinct chambers. The first is near the exit from the eye, if I go straight up on the left hand side I can get stabilized and head under the arch that has a window over it, into the chamber near the catacombs entrance that has the large rock in front of it. Here is I hug the left side there is minimal flow. Until I get to the first pillar, if I pull past that one and under the second pillar with my right, into the third chamber. This the highest chamber and the narrowest, and as a bonus the flow is really minimal, another place I feel I can swim with little effort, but there are pull points all over the place including on my preferred right side. This chamber ends with an arch that has a window to the left of it.

In the final chamber I start to work my way down to a doghead before the lips, there I can rest to let the team gather, rest, and do anything they want to do before pushing through the lips like checking gas or switching regs.

Since I was just going back and forth I would push off and drift to the left hand side of the lips just to take a gander at the gallery before finning to the flow and let it carry me back.

Now one thing I noticed that I might want to change my stage clips, or more my d-rings. I think I will try changing the clips from my butter fly to something more traditional. Though I am unsure which, part of the reason I went to the butterfly was because they are so short but still pretty easy to clip on. Unfortunately due to the size of the lip for the butterfly on top it was hard to unclip.

Oh well more stuff to work on.

You win some, you lose some.

So I went to Ginnie today to do some experimentation in the gallery. The plan was to swim to the eye, dump deco bottle to test new clips, then head to the end of the gallery, and test how well my Big Blue video light lights up the gallery.

Well things didn't go as plan. I head toward the eye but then it seemed like every cave diver was exiting the eye. So I stopped around 20 feet out of the way for a few minutes waiting for three separate teams to exit, grab/check their deco bottles, and head out. Once I actually got into the Eye the new clips worked pretty well, but it was still pretty hard to reach my waist D-ring as my tanks don't seem to move as much as they did in the past. So I think with the new shorter bolt snaps I found, and moving my D-ring just a tad forward I will finally get this figured out.

After dumping my deco bottle, I moved down the chute, and into the gallery. I had a couple of small struggles, but overall I am moving through the gallery much better. Once I make it to the lips, I switch regs and drop down below the lips to float where I want to place my video light. That went off without a hitch and I clawed my way back to the lips. Once there I noticed a valve knob laying in the rocks, I looked for a spring and the nut, but I didn't see it, so into the pocket it went. I finally pull my camera out, scretch the arms out, turn on the onboard lights, and then go to turn on the GoPro... nothing. Not a sound, and I tested it on the surface inside the housing to make sure it was working. After a couple of minute I give up on the camera, and put it away and go to pick up the light.

After making a slow trip to the eye, I grab my deco bottle, and do a safety stop since I have nothing better to do, and pulled the camera out to fiddle with it more, but it just wasn't having it. After some time I figure it has been a long time since I've entered the ear. I hook my camera to the mainline in the eye, and proceed out and onto the ear. It was pretty tannic at the ear, you can tell where it is, but the line is pretty much at the ear. After dropping down I worked my way into the ear following the path that Chris showed me that lands you on a ledge where you can rest and look down.

I discussed this on the phone with @tmassey the other day, but it really isn't that bad going into the ear. Yes the flow is extreme, but it is over really quickly. Where as the flow is lower in the eye, but you are pulling for a much longer period. So I think it is a mixed bag. I traversed over to the eye, grabbed my camera, and did another safety stop playing with the large air bubble left over by the surprising large crowd today, and watching people through the hole in the rock.

After getting out, I got to say that the river is up at least a couple of inches, I couldn't touch the bottom where you hang your tanks. The water around the eye had a touch of green to it. I did the usual routine, fills, dinner, and a three and a half hour drive home thanks to hitting Tampa at rush hour. And what do I hear as I put my car in park in my driveway? My damn GoPro turning off. :bash:

Well I suppose it is better than working, and I have another part to add to my "Scuba parts found at Ginnie" collection.

Good on recognizing the negatives of butterfly clips early. I’ve been using them for 10 years but have grown to hate them since they’re such a pain to unclip. They snap on so easy though. I’m slowly weaning them out of my dive gear.
Are you solo diving or with a buddy? If with a buddy you could have them go ahead and video you while you work your way through. You may see something you’re doing you don’t realize. I love diving Ginnie solo. Something about it is very soothing. I tend to not go past the maple leaf when diving solo there and just stay in the front of the cave looking for things I’ve never noticed.

Good on recognizing the negatives of butterfly clips early. I’ve been using them for 10 years but have grown to hate them since they’re such a pain to unclip. They snap on so easy though. I’m slowly weaning them out of my dive gear.
Are you solo diving or with a buddy? If with a buddy you could have them go ahead and video you while you work your way through. You may see something you’re doing you don’t realize. I love diving Ginnie solo. Something about it is very soothing. I tend to not go past the maple leaf when diving solo there and just stay in the front of the cave looking for things I’ve never noticed.

I'm probably going to keep them as the bottom snaps on my "back gas" tanks as I am really only touching those tanks twice in a dive.

I found some super short clips, that still have a pretty big eye, and a normal sized bolt snap. Which prevents my deco bottle from from hanging down too far. I really dislike when it hangs down too much and snags when going into the cave. The whole point of sidemount is to be low profile right?

I've diving solo, just lets me do things at my own pace. I'm perfectly happy tooling around poking around rocks and working on these minor issues. But most dive buddies just want to go places. Heck I am going to go next week and try to repeat this dive so I can take my test footage. Though I can already tell it will probably take a half a dozen of these video lights to do what I want to do.

I head toward the eye but then it seemed like every cave diver was exiting the eye.
Yea we saw you there patiently waiting. It was a crowd indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom