Hopping my way to full cave...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a fantastic four days in South Florida and got to spend time on 3 wrecks I've never seen before.

I had a fantastic four days in South Florida and got to spend time on 3 wrecks I've never seen before.

Very cool---I had 18 days of teaching three guys to cave dive..we are all waterlogged.

I am headed to Key Largo Thursday for a week of driving dive boats at Rainbow Reef.

Our lives do not suck @kensuf

One of these days I will go down there for a tech trip. I only make it down to South Florida once a year for Grouper aggregate.

What's the CA adventure?

Going to spend three weeks driving across the country, to dive Catalina Island, the SoCal Oil Rigs, and Lake Mead's B-29. Along with some time in Texas visiting Dallas, Houston, and Lockhart.

Well went to Peacock yesterday, did a dive about 1,000 feet down the Olsen line and back. I was a little gingerly on the ascents and descents down the various peaks and valleys, but I actually felt comfortable and in control throughout the entire dive. So I am starting to grok this drysuit thing.

One thing I apparently do have to work on is keeping my prosthetic leg up, apparently it was down the entire time. So that is something I am going to try to remember on all my future dives until it becomes habit.

Very cool....are you staying very warm? :cheers:

Well did the B-29 dive on Lake Mead, it was a cacophony of errors.

Gearing up, I realize that I forgot my wool sock that I use under my undergarments. Not a huge deal I can go without it. Also my long hose tank had a slow leak somewhere. Nothing major but I couldn't quite get it licked.

Dive 1: I get in the water, after struggling for way to long, I got my tanks on. And we descend, I noticed that I was a little wet, but felt that was probably sweat from the 100+ surface temps. I get to the mooring block and start to move along the traverse line to the tail and realize, it wasn't sweat. I had a leak, and not a minor one. I was getting cold as the bottom temp was in the low 60s. I signal the guide and tell him I am ascending. He ask why and I signal cold.

I start moving my way up the mooring chain, and I noticed that it was hard for me to dump air from my wing. Get back on the boat and hang up my top layer shirt to dry.

Between dive 1 and dive 2. I decided to take a closer look at my valve and reg to try to figure out what was wrong. Joel intially thinks it was the burst disc and asked what I filled them to. I told the truth over 4,200psi when I checked at my car this morning. He didn't like that at all. Said that I brought bombs on his boat. I listened politely. Eventually we got it narrowed down to the DIN o-ring, probably from the excess pressure. I didn't want to disassembly my reg on the boat, so I just figured I would deal with it.

They also told me that I forgot to connect my wing retainer, which explains why it was difficult to dump gas from my wing.

Dive 2: Joel said I should go with him and Michael Menduno (who I had no idea who he was before this TBH). This time they helped me ensure that my neck seal was perfect (the likely cause of the leak). Gearing up with a little less of a struggle but wasn't easy. This time I thought I had everything set right. I descend down the line puffing my drysuit and my wing to slow my descent. But for some reason the squeeze never really went away, I figured maybe I was descending too fast, but didn't think much of it until I got to the bottom. And the squeeze wouldn't go away and I was cold. I realized that I didn't hear the suit gas, and that my drysuit hose was disconnected. I was at 90 feet. I got it hooked up, and realized the squeeze. Took a second to regain my buoyancy and joined the tour.

The rest of the dive was ok, I got a little low, and silting this up, probably from dragging my prosthetic. The dive site itself was pretty cool, $450 cool? I don't know. I'm not sure I would do it again. The ascent was fairly normal with my major issues until I got to the boat, and while peeing I realized that my condom cath had popped off and I was peeing into my under garments. Hurrah!

No video because I didn't feel comfortable enough to bring the camera.

Oh and I will probably have a nasty bruise on my right shoulder. I already have some pretty major red marks there.

But I had a double double and a chocolate shake to sooth my wounded ego.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom