Hoping to avoid the camera tax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaDan

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Headed to PVR airport next month. Flying on an airline that SEVERELY limits carryon luggage (11lb limits with a insanely small size). Hoping to avoid the dreaded camera tax. Getting an import carnet and bond was going to cost CAD$600… rolling the dice that this presentation will get me through. 🤞🏼 Travelling with 13 other people so I’m hoping it just blends in 😜

461191FE-70AC-4178-B7CD-FAFAA545B9D2.jpeg
C625ABF2-4FA7-418C-A073-6A034C2B8C3F.jpeg
679CCB8C-9EB0-4574-85DB-E00E7BE4A192.jpeg

Oh, so sad, I see that you've only the photographic equivalent of some "pitiful portable picnic players" in terms of equipment.

My condolences . . .

Oh, I see that you've only the photographic equivalent of some "pitiful portable picnic players" in terms of equipment.

My condolences . . .
Pretty much!!! Some old video lights at a paltry 3500 lumen each. Only one Japanese made Sea&Sea strobe and an acrylic housing from SeaFrog for my old a6000 camera and an underwater video camera from a bankrupt company. Packed with some tool box foam from CanadianTire and a cut up sleeping bag pad.

Not even a Pelican case 😥

🤣

Only 3500 hundred lumen and no Pelican, eh?

It's crazy that the airlines make these weight limitations all about "safety". If a 300lb person buys a ticket, they pay the exact same as a 100lb person. So with that logic, my 125lb wife should be able to bring 175lbs of gear since "safety wise" it would be exactly the same as a 300lb guy flying with no gear. 🤷‍♂️

The "safety" factor is for the overhead bin capacity. These limits are the equivalent to only running your car at 800 rpm for fear of blowing the motor.

It's crazy that the airlines make these weight limitations all about "safety". If a 300lb person buys a ticket, they pay the exact same as a 100lb person. So with that logic, my 125lb wife should be able to bring 175lbs of gear since "safety wise" it would be exactly the same as a 300lb guy flying with no gear. 🤷‍♂️
Agree, said the (also) 125lb diver

Sunwing is especially asinine. You get ONE free carry on. 5kg and 28x23x13cm (11lb 11x9x5”). Second carry on can be larger, but has the same weight limit, goes in the overhead and is charged $25. Meant my 50lbs of camera gear (housing, lights, batteries and chargers) has to be mainly checked. Will carry the batteries on as per regulations along with the camera, lens and regulators.

If my in-laws weren’t paying for this whole clan trip I’d complain more about the airline and destination choice 🤣

UPDATE:

No problem with the camera equipment at PVR airport. They even scanned all the suitcases and carry-ons upon entry. They were far more curious about laptops and other electronics. Didn't even open the camera case or the cases with the BPW's.

Was it all worth it? Barely. VIS was lousy... rivaled the dark green water up here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom