Hooded vest, in or out and sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js5278

New
Reaction score
I dove yesterday in 47-degree water. I had a 3mm merino-lined Pinnacle torso heater under a 5mm farmer john (beaver tail jacket) and a separate hood. It was tolerable but not by much. The one spot that bothered me the most was my upper back, and I'm thinking if I just put a hooded vest over what I'm wearing, I'll be in good shape. I do not intend to dive any colder than upper 40s. I'm looking at a 7mm Pinnacle hooded vest. Is something like that designed to go over or under a suit? Probably a dumb question, but with the hooded vest, I don't use my regular detached hood at all, correct? The other vest I'm looking at is the Bare Arctic, which I understand is meant to be worn over a suit, but that one is twice the price. Assuming I go with a vest over this setup, how do I choose a size (online)? The torso heater is a medium large, the farmer john is custom. I'm thinking a large vest will do it because the dimensions on those are a little higher than what I'd normally buy.

I dive in the waters off of Vancouver island Canada. 38 deg to 58 deg. I use a bare arctic 7mm hooded vest over my 7mm Pinnacle wetsuit. The hooded vest greatly reduces the amount of water that goes down the back of my neck. If Pinnacle makes a hooded vest that goes over the wetsuit it would be good to go with that. You can check on line for measurements. Some companys will let you return your item if it does not fit correctly. I wear a ML wetsuit and I opted to go for the Large hooded vest. You are correct that you do wear your regular detached hood at all when wearing a hooded vest. Check around, there is often a big difference in price between companys for the bare arctic vests.

John

Hooded vests are an excelent soution. I swear by mine.

You cannot safely chose online but you can hope to get lucky. Hopefully timing and shipping costs don't proove unfortunate.

Pete

Just to fix my typo

You are correct that you do "not"wear your regular detached hood at all when wearing a hooded vest.

I alway wear my hooded vest under my wetsuit. I never got any strange looks if I was doing it wrong.

You LDS is a great place to try on the vest and then buy it at the store (not online) since they assisted you in the selection (just by having the stuff, even if they didn't help you more than that).

David

If you can get your proper size, both for the chest as well as the head, then these work excellently for both wetsuit or drysuit applications!

I recommend further a zipper down the front and up across the chin. Then it will be easier to get into and out of.

Question about your 3mm merino-lined Pinnacle torso heater. Do you get into yours through the stretchy neck or does yours have velcro on one of the shoulders.

thanks

John

The Pinnacle hooded vests are designed to be worn under a wetsuit. If you look at the vest, it has a strip of 1mm neoprene around the neck that interfaces with the neck seal on the wetsuit and cuts down on water flushing in and out. In addition, the merino lining is really designed to work best against your skin.

You are correct, you do not need a seperate hood or beanie in addition to the hooded vest.

Back
Top Bottom