Hooded vest for under wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys, I have seen differing opinions about whether or not a polyester based layer (polytherm, polypro, etc..) does anything to add warmth under a wetsuit. What's your opinion?

I am looking for an under layer to wear on those repetitive dives where the 5/4/3 fullsuit falls just a bit short towards the end of the dives.

I was looking at this Excel hooded vest, I like the 2mm hood, but the vest is 10 ounce polypro...Will that vest add any warmth or not make a difference?

Another option is this Aqualung 1.5mm hood and vest. Will definitely add warmth to my core, but hood might be too thing.

I was actually hoping to wear whatever hooded vest I buy also during my wetsuit when I go surfing.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Don't know if this would help any, but it's only about 30 bucks USD...2 mm thickness, I ve had one for years...

Evo Unisex 2mm Hooded Vest for scuba diving

1015-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Don't know if this would help any, but it's only about 30 bucks USD...2 mm thickness, I ve had one for years...

+1 on the Evo. Actually +2 as I bought one for my wife as well - I dove mine in the Bahamas a few weeks ago under a 5 mil; she went without. Neither of us had an issue, so I don't think it adds a huge amount as a core warmer, but enough for me and the hood was perfect. I did 4 dives a day x3days, not cold once. Water temps were low to mid 70's.

I used a Lavacore hooded vest (they refer to their material as POLYTHERM(TM)) under a 5 mm wetsuit and found it was just not quite warm enough for me in 72 F water. So I am in the process of selecting a neoprene hooded vest to use instead. I am thinking 1.5 mm of neoprene will be about equivalent in warmth to the Lavacore--which would be no gain in warmth for me--so I am leaning toward a 2 mm like the Evo mentioned above.

Lavacore and the like seem too good to be true: extra warmth, no buoyancy, easy to don and doff. They may be useful in some situations, but I believe they are of marginal value for many of us who are looking for substantial added warmth.

I picked up a 5/3 hooded vest. Wore it with my 4/3 in Jan in Key Largo during a cold week. Was comfortable.

Today I did a local dive with the 5/3 hooded vest and my 7 in a local quarry at 46 degrees. Arms and hands got cold at 35 minutes but it was not the vests fault. Had on only 5mm gloves.

I would go with a heavier one but in a nice stretchy material.

Hey guys, I have seen differing opinions about whether or not a polyester based layer (polytherm, polypro, etc..) does anything to add warmth under a wetsuit. What's your opinion?

I am looking for an under layer to wear on those repetitive dives where the 5/4/3 fullsuit falls just a bit short towards the end of the dives.

I was looking at this Excel hooded vest, I like the 2mm hood, but the vest is 10 ounce polypro...Will that vest add any warmth or not make a difference?

Another option is this Aqualung 1.5mm hood and vest. Will definitely add warmth to my core, but hood might be too thing.

I was actually hoping to wear whatever hooded vest I buy also during my wetsuit when I go surfing.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I wear a Bare 1mm Hooded vest under my 3/2 suit for water in the low 70s. The added protection for my head alone keeps me warmer.
I recently wore it just with a dive skin and shorts in 75 degree water and I was very comfortable.
The one I wear is this one and it's lined with nylon material.
Bare 1 mm Men's Sport Hooded Vest, Black at LeisurePro

If your getting cold towards the end of the dive and your not wearing a hood now, just get the hood. I recommend a Bare elasta hood preferable in a 7mil. Its what i use. Even in 70 degree water if your in there for 60min you get cold because 80% of you heat loss is coming from you head.

Dive with the hood just 1 day and you'll understand what i mean.

Dive safe.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I used a Lavacore hooded vest (they refer to their material as POLYTHERM(TM)) under a 5 mm wetsuit and found it was just not quite warm enough for me in 72 F water. So I am in the process of selecting a neoprene hooded vest to use instead. I am thinking 1.5 mm of neoprene will be about equivalent in warmth to the Lavacore--which would be no gain in warmth for me--so I am leaning toward a 2 mm like the Evo mentioned above.

Lavacore and the like seem too good to be true: extra warmth, no buoyancy, easy to don and doff. They may be useful in some situations, but I believe they are of marginal value for many of us who are looking for substantial added warmth.

Totally agree. I was not overly impressed. I do feel the cold. Maybe if you're cold tolerant to begin with a LC might be ok but if you feel the cold and want something that will actually add some noticeable warmth, IMO, you're best served adding some neoprene.

Evo Unisex 2mm Hooded Vest for scuba diving

Thanks for the advice. The thing about the Evo under my wetsuit for temperate waters (5/4mm) would be adding to a total of 7mm on the core area. Just seems like overkill for let's say low 70 degrees which would be the coldest for example in Hawaii.

70 is not just 70.

70 on a bright sunny day with no wind and only a shallow dive or 2 is one thing.

70 on a cloudy day with the air a bit cool and several deeper/longer dives is another thing.

If during a dive you feel a little warm it is easy to dump heat. Just add some water. If during a dive you feel cool and getting cooler you just get to feel uncomfortable.

As I get older, and I exert less under water, I tend to err on the side of warmer.

Back
Top Bottom