hooded (chicken) vest - getting out??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avlena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a hooded vest that I wear inside my wetsuit (I've seen it referred to as a "chicken vest"), and I'm wondering if there's a way to modify it so that it's easier to get in/out. I practically have to dislocate my should every time I get out of it. To make things even more difficult, I have to make sure that my bikini top doesn't slip while I'm wrestling my way out, and I don't accidentally flash fellow divers! :xeye:

If I were to cut a slit down the side, would it lose it's effectiveness? Since it's inside, I'm not sure the seals on the vest actually matter, or if the warming effect is just from having the extra neoprene padding.

Or if anyone has any other ideas how to get out of it, I'm open to suggestions!!

TIA!

They do make them with zippers up the side....

It appears the problem is the bikini top slipping during removal of the wetsuit, I suggest not wearing the bikini top.

Instead of trying to pull my hooded vest over my torso and head, dislocating or rupturing something, I usually am able to wiggle one arm/elbow through the hole for the arm, then the vest rolls up quite easily. Give it a try.

That is exactly what I do....bend my arm back through the arm hole and pull it up over my shoulder.

When I got mine the LDS offered a lesson.....

1. Take your left hand and grab the front of the vest at the right arm opening
2. Pull the material forward
3. Reach into the vest with your right hand through the enlarged arm opening
4. Bring your right hand down inside the vest
5. With your left hand pull the vest up off your right shoulder
6. Now you have plenty of room to bring your left arm in.
7. Up over your head it goes.

Much easier done than written. Mine is a Bare I would prefer not to have the inescapable seepage that a zipper will introduce.

Pete

When I got mine the LDS offered a lesson.....

1. Take your left hand and grab the front of the vest at the right arm opening
2. Pull the material forward
3. Reach into the vest with your right hand through the enlarged arm opening
4. Bring your right hand down inside the vest
5. With your left hand pull the vest up off your right shoulder
6. Now you have plenty of room to bring your left arm in.
7. Up over your head it goes.

Much easier done than written. Mine is a Bare I would prefer not to have the inescapable seepage that a zipper will introduce.

Pete

hmm... i've been trying the one arm through it thing, but elbow first, and that's what makes me feel like i'm dislocating my shoulder. so maybe i'll try putting my hand in, using the steps you described, and see how that goes.

I just pull the hood 'off' first, then cross my arms to grab as far back as I can reach from the bottom of each side of the vest and just pull it off in one go. It does take a bit of force to get it past the shoulders but my hooded vest is only 3mm neoprene in the torso so it stretches. That said, I'm male so no bikini slippage issues here.

1) Grab the hood, duck your chin and get your nose just under the neck hole.
2) Cross your arms at your navel and grasp the bottom of your vest with both hands.
3) Lift you arms up over your head bringing the bottom of the vest up.
4) You should new easily free your head and then arms.

This will not work for small people, especially small women with significant curves. For those people I recommend an inverted side zipper be installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom