Hood with short skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I just purchased a Lavacore hood for 72F consecutive dives. My 5mm wetsuit is a little tight around neck. So I like the thinness of the lavacore material to tuck in. The downside is that skirt is short. When I turn around my neck it comes out. I am afriad that cold water may get in under water. Should I exchange it for a neoprine bib hood? Would neoprine hood uncomfortable specially around the neck (as my wetsuit is tight)? Thought on Lavacore hood vs neoprine bib hood?

The answer depends on two factors: how snugly the Lavacore hood fits around your neck and head, and your tolerance for cold.

If the Lavacore hood fits correctly on your neck and head, then even if the skirt comes untucked on your neck, you're unlikely to get water flowing through the hood. Since restricting water exchange is the key to staying warm, you'll probably be OK, even if there's some water exchange around your neck.

However, if you have very low tolerance for cold, then any water exchange at all on your neck will probably be unpleasant, and you might want to get a neoprene hood.

If you opt for a neoprene hood, try on multiple brands, thicknesses, and bibbed/non-bibbed varieties. They're all a bit different, and you may find that you prefer/dislike the bibbed style. (BTW, you don't have to tuck a bibbed hood into your wetsuit; you can put it over top of the wetsuit and under your BCD's shoulder straps.)

All that being said, in my experience, a full hood for a 72F dive may be overkill. Might I suggest a Snoopy cap? It's what I'm wearing in my profile pic. It'll keep your noggin and ears warm but leave your neck open.

Got it. Lavacore fits ok for the head. The neck is big and not snug at all. It is easy to tuck in but neck does not stay in the wetsuit when I turn my head around. If a full hood is overkill, then Lavacore would work (head snug and neck is semi-open), I guess. Thank you for your insights. It really helps.

The answer depends on two factors: how snugly the Lavacore hood fits around your neck and head, and your tolerance for cold.

If the Lavacore hood fits correctly on your neck and head, then even if the skirt comes untucked on your neck, you're unlikely to get water flowing through the hood. Since restricting water exchange is the key to staying warm, you'll probably be OK, even if there's some water exchange around your neck.

However, if you have very low tolerance for cold, then any water exchange at all on your neck will probably be unpleasant, and you might want to get a neoprene hood.

If you opt for a neoprene hood, try on multiple brands, thicknesses, and bibbed/non-bibbed varieties. They're all a bit different, and you may find that you prefer/dislike the bibbed style. (BTW, you don't have to tuck a bibbed hood into your wetsuit; you can put it over top of the wetsuit and under your BCD's shoulder straps.)

All that being said, in my experience, a full hood for a 72F dive may be overkill. Might I suggest a Snoopy cap? It's what I'm wearing in my profile pic. It'll keep your noggin and ears warm but leave your neck open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom