Hood traps air from reg exhaust - 2 possible solutions - which should I adopt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wearing a hooded vest, I recently found that the bubbles from my regulator exhaust were ending up in my hood. I have considered cutting a small hole in the top (the back of my head which would be on top as I swim horizontally) to allow the trapped aire to escape. But maybe its a good thing since air is a better insulator than water obviously.

One definite problem with the trapped air though is that it pushes my mask strap around. I almost lost my mask at one point. One solution it seems would be to put the mask on first so that the strap is inside the hood. Any significant problem with this?

Thanks for any input.
Dave

You might find a need for both... LOL

Mask strap on the inside is good for diving in places or with people where there's a good chance of snagging your mask... punching a small hole at the top to let air out is also a good thing because that trapped air can just be annoying as hell... LOL

Good luck!

Poke a small hole in the top of your hood. Doesn't have to be huge, but bigger than 'sewing needle'.

A hot 16 penny nail works good to make the hole. Keeps it nice and small and also binds the edges of the hole.

Air in the hood makes for some interesting stories as well as adding unwanted bouyancy. I use the hot nail technique to add venting as mentioned above by scuba70, works great. I do wonder how much thermal protection this defeats?

On one dive my instabuddy got so aggrivated that he started to try and yank off his hood, only problem was he still had his mask on and regulator in. This didn't deter him one bit as he was so head up. Fortunatly I saw what was going on and was able to catch his mask as it poped off his head. He managed to replace his reg on his own.

Swapping hood stories on a recent liveaboard the DM told of a diver he encountered who was having hood inflation problems. This diver proceeded to pull out his diveknife and try to cut off the hood! While wearing it? The end result was a nice series of cuts along his forehead from the serated edge of the knife.

A better solution is to simply use your hand to press down on the top of the hood or beanie which will force the air out, then put holes in the hood before your next dive.

You could purchase a DUI hood which is vented to allow air out while not letting water in. A very well designed hood which I use.

My nice, cheap hood has a two-layer panel in the conehead area. There are holes in both layers, but they are offset. When air separates the layers, it flows right out, but without air flowing, there is very little water flow (and the double-layer construction adds thickness which also compensates for the holes).

The other hoods I've had have all needed a moment with the soldering iron. :biggrin:

Wearing a hooded vest, I recently found that the bubbles from my regulator exhaust were ending up in my hood. I have considered cutting a small hole in the top (the back of my head which would be on top as I swim horizontally) to allow the trapped aire to escape. But maybe its a good thing since air is a better insulator than water obviously.

One definite problem with the trapped air though is that it pushes my mask strap around. I almost lost my mask at one point. One solution it seems would be to put the mask on first so that the strap is inside the hood. Any significant problem with this?

Thanks for any input.
Dave

In addition to the DUI hood that StanS mentioned Pinacle also makes an excellent vented hood that is lined with Merino wool.

Add a couple vent holes up the centerline. Try to get at least one so it's top dead venter in your most common swimming posture. I use a #6 finish nail with a blunt end heated to cherry red with a propane torch. Be sure to have plenty of ventilation since searing neoprene is nasty. I find that a small hole will still retain a partial air film and gives me the best of both worlds.

If you find that it is now unacceptably cold then just add a thin beanie underneath.

Pete

I use a Waterproof hood. It has 2 vents on top and is an excellent hood. See pic below

DrySuit001.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom