Hood compatible with FFM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I recently switched to an OTS Guardian mask, and found that I couldn't get a the mask to seal properly while wearing my hood. The hood kept getting under the mask seal. Trimming my hood back might be an option? My instructor also suggested using a rubber hood that the mask would seal over. My drysuit (White's Enviro Com) does have an option to use a rubber hood, but I don't have one installed.

What works for you? Here's one option I found:

Seasoft Pro/C6 6mm Dry Suit Hood for Full Face Mask (FFM)

FWIW, water temp here I dive in is usually between the 40's and 60's, so thermal protection is important.

Ted

what I did was put the hood on, put the ffm on, and took a sharpie and traced the skirt *well had my wife trace the skirt*.
I then cut an inch inside of the skirt so it would lay on top of the skirt and you can make any fine tune adjustments after that. I would recommend running a small bead of aquaseal around the edge unless you have a sewing machine otherwise it will delaminate.

Mine is trimmed for FFM. (Well, second hood, trimmed for another person's face which happens to fit my FFM.)

Rubber isn't a desirable solution for me yet.

Rubber is *always* a desirable solution! :D

Rubber is *always* a desirable solution! :D
Sell me on it? I picked one up a couple years ago for nasty water s&r, but haven't actually met anyone using one for cold water (~0°C) so I don't know what to do with it per say.

Are they much nicer, outside of contaminated water diving?

what I did was put the hood on, put the ffm on, and took a sharpie and traced the skirt *well had my wife trace the skirt*.
I then cut an inch inside of the skirt so it would lay on top of the skirt and you can make any fine tune adjustments after that. I would recommend running a small bead of aquaseal around the edge unless you have a sewing machine otherwise it will delaminate.

I'm not certain I understand. You cut the hood to overlap 1" with the mask skirt, then when you put the mask on you pull the hood over the mask skirt?

Back
Top Bottom