Hood Canal Sea lions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterone

Contributor
Reaction score
We had been diving in hood canal this last weekend and a group of three sea lions came swimming by. It started with a younger one flying by at about 15 feet. As it passed it looked our way and then shortly after did a double take probably wondering what the hell we were.

Then about 20 seconds later a large one showed up. It started with wide circles that got faster and narrower. By about the 3rd circuit I could see another large one off to my left just sitting about 15 feet away. By about the 5th circuit he was very close and did an abrubt stop about a foot and a half from my face. He looked at my dive partner then me and was then off again but that time started to do narrow and short ovals off my right arm.
16688047837232004255294.jpg

Awesome pic and awesome experience!!!!! I have also had the privilege to dive with the Steller Sea Lions up on Vancouver Island....... compliments of the original Nautilus VII !!

I had only ever seen them from quite far off relaxing and hardly moving. Underwater the one seemed ridiculously huge and extremely fast up close.

When it started doing tight fast oval circuits off my arm I was less comfortable than the first few circles. Wasn't sure if he either wanted to play or wanted us gone! Overall it was a very cool experience.

I have a short video off it but it is choppy since I had the camera attached to my wrist instead of my camera setups...and because it was getting as close as it could without really smacking me. Not sure how to upload it here though.

1668817347110959278046.jpg

GH011229_1668384242324.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom