hood - boot-glove thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I'll be taking my open water certification course soon and shopping for my boots-gloves-and hood. Not sure what thickness I should be looking for. I'm in massachusetts so I would imagine the water is cold most of the time.

Well this is what you need to figure out.... where and what time of year will you be diving?? I'm sure Mass is cold inland all year and the coast I haven't a clue.
Ask your local dive shop.
Also consider a Dry suit and get the best you can afford along with the class to teach you how to use it. Dry suits are great in almost any dive situation. Dry = warm and neoprene= hot as hadies on warm days. If you decide on wet look into flex suits... they offer core protection without the hastle of looking like the little brother on " A Christmas Story" ie no bending in a 7mm.
As for gloves 5mm and boots 5mm are confortable from ice to tropical waters.

The thickest they have :wink:

ckjacques53198:
Hi,

I'll be taking my open water certification course soon and shopping for my boots-gloves-and hood. Not sure what thickness I should be looking for. I'm in massachusetts so I would imagine the water is cold most of the time.

5mm gloves are about as thick as one can wear if you want to actually be able to move you fingers :D

7mm high top boots will likely work best. I have 5mm booties, and 2mm and 5mm gloves.

If your objective is to dive locally and often, start saving your pennies for a DrySuit. It's going to take a LOT of pennies| If your main goal is to dive tropical on vacation, and just use the local area's for training, you may want to purchase 5mm booties as they will work well in water temps that you will likely be diving in the warmer months.

I dove my 5mm booties for all my diving I just did in FL.

7mm hood and boots for local in Mass diving. I'de get 5mm
semidry gloves minimum and at some point consider a good pair of mittens after you gain a lot of experience.

Hello-

I dive in MN/WI and use 6.5mm boots, 5mm gloves, and a 5/7mm hooded vest. For the most part I stay pretty warm in those areas even in 42 degree water.

Back
Top Bottom