Honeymoon!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20vturbo

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok so its finally booked! (whew) We are staying at the Poipu Beach Sheraton Hotel on Kauai for the first 4 nights (5/16-5/20), The Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa Sheraton on the Big island for the next 5 nights (5/20-5/25), and finally The Outrigger Aina Nalu on Maui for 6 nights (5/25-5/31)!! The activities we want to do the most are diving, surfing, jungle/nature hikes, the volcanos, and learn the culture. What are the must do's and must dont's? Where is the best diving for both shore and boat? Has anyone stayed at these places? Are there any other suggestions? I believe that I read in some other posts that the big island is the best for surfing? and Maui has the best diving?

Thanks guys, I am so excited! :)

Congratulations on your wedding :)

I haven't stayed at any of those resorts, but did dive on Maui. I recommend a 2 or 3 tank dive at Molokini, with the back wall (depending on your experience level), as well as diving the Cathedrals off Lanai. We shore dove as well, and had some great little dives there too, although it tends to be pretty shallow, and you do have to keep an eye on the surf conditions for entry/exit.
I'm sure there will be lots of responses to come.
Sounds like you'll have a great time with visiting 3 islands. Enjoy! :)

Give B&B Scuba on Maui a call and enjoy yourself. Congratulations.

Do not miss the manta and black water dives in Kona. if it's in the budget, do the two hour circle isle helo flight around the big isle, book online for big savings. Shore diving at it's best at place of refuge, AKA two step, near where your staying. A drive up Mauna Kea is worth the time, ignore rental car bans on the road, everyone does. It's 14,000 feet up so no diving the day before.
Maui, Second the vote for the back wall. The crater is OK but the backwall is awsome! Also dont miss out on the Maui Ocean Center. They have a shark dive that is fantastic! Even if you don't dive it, it is worth the visit.
Kauai, we did a white knuckle flight with Air One through the canyon. Very highly recomended!
Enjoy your visit and congrats!

ya-hoo!

gotta love a decisive man!

Congratulations!

we will feed you tips between now and then...cause we have all the islands covered in here.

I second the Manta Dive...need warmish wetsuit for that, it's shallow and easy though. You sit still on the bottom and so I get really chilly.

I have stayed at the Sheraton in Kauai as well as the one on the Big Island. Both are pretty nice. I highly recommend upgrading to an ocean front (not just ocean view) room. It adds to the experience.

The Poipu Sheraton is less than a 5 minute drive from Sea Sport Divers. We did a fantastic Ni'ihau trip with them this past summer. (They only do Ni'ihau in the summer.)

On the Big Island I recommend Jack's Diving Locker. They are about 10 minutes from the Sheraton. They book up fast...send them an e-mail to check availability on your days of interest. You'll need to make your reservations by phone, though.

Have fun!

If you want to do some shore dives, there are a few of us here that would likely be interested in joining you to show you around the reefs...

PM me when the time gets closer and we can exchange contact info.

Cheers,

-kb

Just whizzed thru a few of your other posts…..
Some BI info
Jacks was (at least) renting a camera, a Sea and See (whatever). I tried it once, it was a pretty good deal I thought…but….should have figured out how to use it before trying to take Manta dive photo’s. Got to take one out again and play with it in light for a while.

Kona surfing is to my understanding (I’m not a surfer) not known for it’s surfing…that’s Oahu’s North Shore. There is surfing and plenty done here with sites all along where you are staying. It is a bit more rugged as we are the new kid on the chain and the shore is mostly raw lava. Also no where near the famed Oahu waves. I think it’s been pretty good – ocean has been outstandingly gorgeous the last couple of weeks. If you want I can try to get a surfer co-worker to dispense with some hints. It would help if you provided what kind of surfing you’re up to and looking for. For example there’s jump off rocks at the right time entries….)
Hapuna Beach is very nice (in some top 10 beach list) and a great place to boogieboard. I’ve got a board fins etc if you want to borrow it.

I’ve also got a really funny blow up windsurfer you can play with, A Bay is where the Windsurfing goes on. On a good day they are literally flying out there.

Diving is good. Not clear what kind of diver you and the missus are – 0-24 dives and certified for 10 or more years? Sounds a little scary and you might want to plan on a lot of boat diving. Any of the Op’s do the Manta and still I’d set that up now to guarantee getting the booking. If you’re really wanting it I’d also suggest book several nights to ensure seeing them. They just are not guarantee performers. Well worth it, nobody gets bored seeing the Manta’s. The night dive is still good if they don’t show. I’ve seen folks that book 5 nights and still appear as enthusiastic on the last one. Also each of my Manta dives has been different with only one appreciably less wonderful.
You’re not supposed to (but I still do) jump out of a lava tube into the ocean at City of Refuge.

Something I think is really fun is to get Kayaks and go to The Captain Cook Monument and snorkel. Rent them with Kona Boys.

Definitely schedule a dinner at Jameson’s by the Sea –need reservations- and take nothing less than outside on the deck. The view and atmosphere are dreamy, I completely forget I live here and not on vacation. Food’s great too. Also Huggo’s on the Rocks – a great place to dine on PuPu’s and watch the sunset. Do not miss trying if you don’t already know sashimi….raw ahi, at least as a PuPu.

Get sandwiches when heading south at Evie’s Natural Foods in Kealakekua and check out Killer Taco’s in Kona (the fish taco’s are not to be missed.) Buy Mac Nuts at Long’s or WalMart. Coffee at the Kona Farmer’s Market unless somebody is selling it along the road just before you turn into CostCo. Look for Pickled Mango along Hina Lani at the Queen K intersection.

As for Volcano I have a suggestion on Post #17.

The horseback ride down into the Waipi’o Valley is really cool to do and the Kaumana Caves (Lava Tube) is fun. Akaka Falls and the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden. I’d like to check out the Panaewa Rainforest Zoo, real nice folk and it sounds good. I think the observatory is a really great thing – along as the weather is good enough to see out.

Shop at Waikoloa Village King’s Shops, very nice stuff. Along Alii Drive in Kona (Uncle Billy’s) is good too, I go there a lot for Hawaii gifts. Get the missus a toe ring in there. General Hawaiian things like luggage tags and note pads get at Longs, WalMart or Kmart. Look for the nifty slipper fly swatter. There’s a new International Market in Kona but I haven’t been there, looks promising….

Lisa

Thanks for all the replies and offers! I haven’t got to read all of them but we would defiantly be up for some shore dives with anyone willing to show us around! A little back ground on the divers before you guys offer! :)

Me: I started my diver career when I was 12. (dad is a DM) I was certified in Grapevine lake (anyone close to Texas knows that means that we basically sat on the bottom and used our regulators to float trash off the bottom with about 1ft visibility) After my certification dive we were off to Hawaii! We did a few shore dives and a boat dive to The Makaha caverns, and a 90ft wreak dive on Oahu. It was great fun! but after a few more dives in the texas lakes we quickly got too "busy" to dive. Fast forward to my fiancé and I. She was always interested in diving so we got her certified about 6 months ago (I went through certification again since it had been so long) Together we have only done about 6 dives together, however we will be taking a "refresher" right before we leave for our cruise to Cancun, and we will probably have one two tank dive in Cancun. My question is I really want to dive Ni'ihau on Kauai. Do you think that would be safe? I know we both feel like fish in the water and are very comfortable but I am not sure what to expect?

Also I am working on our registry for our honeymoon so that all of our family can help us get to Hawaii! I have only got to Kauai so far. Anything I can add to this would be great! I am working on adding what has already been suggested! :)

http://www.thebigday.com/ViewRegistry.asp?list=90354

Edit:
redrover:
If you want I can try to get a surfer co-worker to dispense with some hints. It would help if you provided what kind of surfing you’re up to and looking for. For example there’s jump off rocks at the right time entries….)
We are definitely first timers!

The people to ask about Ni'ihau probably aren't posting on the board. Your best bet is to contact the operators that go there, tell them about both of your experience levels and take their recommendations. Ni'ihau is also a very weather/water condition dependant dive. Don't be overly sad if it doesn't happen, you'll still have a great time.

It's all good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom