Honeymoon trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading through everything and contacting various resorts, I think we're leaning towards a week on Little Cayman and then a week at Compass Point on the east end. Both look to have great diving operations and accommodations without destroying the budget.

On that note though, I have a question: it looks like the drive from Compass to the city is 35-45 minutes. If we did want to pop over and do some city stuff, is that an accurate drive time? We're mostly looking to dive and relax so I don't think it would be an every day thing.
Wow, my two favorite locations/operations in the Cayman Islands :) What a nice trip.

Yes, the drive time is about right

After reading through everything and contacting various resorts, I think we're leaning towards a week on Little Cayman and then a week at Compass Point on the east end. Both look to have great diving operations and accommodations without destroying the budget.

On that note though, I have a question: it looks like the drive from Compass to the city is 35-45 minutes. If we did want to pop over and do some city stuff, is that an accurate drive time? We're mostly looking to dive and relax so I don't think it would be an every day thing.

Yes, that would be about right regarding drive time. Be aware that there are quite a few residential areas between town and Compass Point, so traffic can get bad with a lot of commuters heading into town for work. It could add a hour if you are unlucky. Just avoid rush hour!

Wow, my two favorite locations/operations in the Cayman Islands :) What a nice trip.

Yes, the drive time is about right

Sorry to pepper everyone with more questions, but I'm wondering whether anyone can speak to Sunset House vs. Compass Point. The prices are about the same and I see that Sunset House has unlimited shore diving and is closer to the city. We don't necessarily need the city, but I'm wondering if food variety might be an issue eventually.

So, my additional questions:
  1. Is the diving significantly better or more convenient on the east end?
  2. Is the shore diving any good on the west end?
  3. Can you shore dive on the east end?
  4. If we want to dive the Kittiwake, does the east end us put us at a significant disadvantage for that?

Yes, that would be about right regarding drive time. Be aware that there are quite a few residential areas between town and Compass Point, so traffic can get bad with a lot of commuters heading into town for work. It could add a hour if you are unlucky. Just avoid rush hour!

Thank you. I think we'd mostly be looking at driving over in the afternoon after diving, or maybe in the evening for dinner.

Sorry to pepper everyone with more questions, but I'm wondering whether anyone can speak to Sunset House vs. Compass Point. The prices are about the same and I see that Sunset House has unlimited shore diving and is closer to the city. We don't necessarily need the city, but I'm wondering if food variety might be an issue eventually.

4. If we want to dive the Kittiwake, does the east end us put us at a significant disadvantage for that?
Hi @Jake

Everyone has their personal opinions. What's best for you might be something different.

I have 10 trips to Grand Cayman since 1997. Overall, I like the diving on the east end the best though I have some favorite dives in the north. In the winter, access to the north wall may be limited due to conditions. One advantage of the east end is that OF can go north, east, or south to take advantage of the best conditions at the time. The diving at Compass Point could not be easier, OF is probably the best land-based operator I have used. I have never stayed at Sunset House and have not dived in that area for a long time, my opinion was that it is not the best shore diving on GC.

Breakfast is included at Compass Point, we usually make our own lunch (and dive again in the afternoon). We make some of our dinners. There are plenty of restaurants on the east end for me, of course, many many more in town and along SMB, etc.

There is some very good shore diving on the west side, Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch/Macabuca run by Sundivers, Lighthouse Point run by Divetech, Cobalt Coast run by Reef Divers. Again, in winter, shore diving sites may be unavailable due to conditions, the farther north, often the more affected. Practically, there is little to no shore diving on the east end for most visitors.

If you stay on the east end, you will have to drive to West Bay to take a boat to the Kittiwake.

Decisions like you are making come down to personal choice and your priorities.

Congratulations, enjoy your trip, Craig

I would say about 45 minutes depending on traffic.

On the west side of the island you also have shore dives at Sunset House and Eden Rock, closer to George Town. Those can sometimes be more sheltered than the North West Point dives. Not spectacular, but doable.

I have stayed at Sunset House on more than one occasion and here is what I can tell you about staying there:
1. It is a very well run operation. Rooms have been upgraded recently, the pool has been redone also and the dive boats are very comfortable and safety oriented.
2. Breakfast is included in the package, but it is a pretty unspectacular breakfast. It is certainly adequate, but nothing to write home about.
3. Package includes 2 morning boat dives and they will all be on the west side walls and inner reefs. They do keep a boat on the north side and on occasion, will bus everyone over there for some North wall diving. Weather has to cooperate and a group of guests will need to request and desire to do it. You will probably have 10-15 divers per boat during December/January. There will be 1 DM/Dive guide in the water for the entire group. He/She will lead a 30-45 minute dive and eventually bring everyone back to the mooring line. At that point, the DM will make sure everyone looks up and sees where the boat is and will wave goodbye and surface and you will be free to continue to dive your tank with a 60-70 minute time limit.
4. The on site restaurant and bar is really great for lunch and dinner. A very nice variety of food options that will take you many days to tire of, including very good Indian food. And the setting is spectacular with gorgeous sunsets.
5. It is walking distance into downtown (10-15 minutes).
6. They offer weekly Kittiwake and Stingray City dives for a slight up charge. I got the opportunity to do a night dive on the Kittiwake and that was pretty cool.
7. You will be assigned a locker where you keep all of your dive gear, when not using it.
8. There is unlimited shore diving on site and it is actually better than most people think. Especially if you really explore around and don't just do the typical dive out to the statue. The diving to the south end is really pretty good. Very easy and a simple giant stride into the water and a nice ladder exit. Showers and rinse tanks are just a couple of steps away from the entry/exit.
9. The dive shop closes around 5-5:30pm. So, if you want to do a night dive or early morning dawn dive, you need to get your tanks before they close and put them in your locker. They do have both 21% and 32% nitrox available.
10. If you decide that you don't want to rent a car, they will pick you up and then drop you off at the airport. I'd recommend renting a car though. If you want to do shore diving anywhere else on the island or hit up any other 7 mile beach restaurants and night spots, you will want the car.
11. They do not offer afternoon boat dives. So, if you decide you want to do some additional afternoon boat dives, instead of shore dives, you will need to go with another operator. I am pretty biased toward Brad Nelson and Cayman University Divers. Cayman University Divers
12. WIFI is very good at the restaurant/bar/lobby and any room close to those locations. It can be a bit spotty the further away you get from them.
13. This website will really go a long way in educating you about all of the dive sites and locations: Best Dive Sites Grand Cayman - iDive

I guess that's enough for now. Happy to answer any additional questions. After saying all of the above, the next time I go to Grand Cayman, I will likely stay out on the east end at Compass Point and dive with Ocean Frontiers. I want to experience all of those amazing dive sites that I have not yet had the pleasure of diving. And, if @scubadada recommends it, that is good enough for me.

Congrats and have a lovely trip. IMHO, Little Cayman's Bloody Bay Marine Park is a real treasure and some of the very best diving in the Caribbean. Hopefully you'll have nice weather and are able to take full advantage of it. :)

Thanks a whole lot for the replies from everyone. I've officially booked Little Cayman Beach Resort for week 1, and Compass Point for week 2. It was a tough decision between that and Sunset (mostly because of the shore diving opportunity; we're all addicts aren't we?).

Now I'm sad that my dates don't line up with the UV night dive that Ocean Frontiers does. Guess we'll have to visit again. :)

Back
Top Bottom