Honeymoon trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to note - they are hooked up to a mooring line; it isn't a free moving boat picking you up like on a drift dive. You can hold onto the line if you want, but you shouldn't need to. I like to stretch out like a flying squirrel and keep looking at the bottom during my stop. Sometimes you catch one more shark or moray scooting through.

Jon Lines are so small I would bring it, just in case. It also means that you won't be holding on to something with fire coral on it, or anything else that might cut you.

@Jake , agree with @howswedeofme that boats won’t moor at a site with strong current... unless everyone on the boat is a known quantity and the site is worth the effort. If you need to, you can dangle off the mooring line for your safety stop, but even in a bit of current I’m able to “flying squirrel” the stop. Since folks on the boat vary greatly on bottom time, rarely is there a gaggle hanging off the mooring line when you are making your safety stop. Personally, I wouldn’t bother with a Jon line since current isn’t really a factor off the boats, but agree that it doesn’t take up much room. If you feel more comfortable taking one, do it. It’s not that there is not current, it’s just the boats will go wherever the seas and current are light. Shore dives... you are on your own, so pick the headwind for the first half of the dive.

I have had a few boats dives on Cayman (admittedly North shore or west side) where there was next to no current at the start of the dive, but a moderate one by the end of it. It really caught me out the first time, as I thought I could do a safety stop without hanging on to a line. I learned my lesson with that one. Not sure if conditions can change that quickly on the East side, but it's better to be prepared.

Hi all-

Hopefully one last question: are we allowed to have dive knives, and if not, what about something like a line cutter? I recognize that the likelihood of us running into anything actually requiring cutting is extremely small, but I don't want to be the one jerk who drowns on someone's illegally discarded monofilament.

I believe they are allowed. We had ours on the Brac last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom