Honeymoon trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

We're considering the Cayman Islands for a honeymoon on rough dates of 2018-12-28 (arrival) to 2019-01-05. That gives us 7 full days for diving and other activities. I wanted to see if I could get some recommendations for the trip, as I've searched the Internet for help but can't quite make heads or tails of the geography and the best way to approach it.

Some notes:
  1. We're both skilled divers. A wreck dive would be cool, but not necessary. A decent shore dive at the hotel or close to it would be a plus.
  2. We'd prefer an all-inclusive, but that's not required either.
  3. Relatively close proximity to stuff to do on land (hang at the beach, excursions, etc) would be nice.
I think my biggest question is mostly about where, geographically, we'd mostly want to look. I'm not sure what the benefits or downsides are to the different places in the country.

Thanks!

Jake,
Your best best will probably be on the West End of the island. You can do all of those things there with ease. We prefer the East End, but our approach to spending time in Grand Cayman is a bit different than yours. I will make a suggestion, however, and that is to stay at the Turtlenest Inn in Boddentown. That lies along the south shore about half way between the East End and the West End. It is a nice quiet place to stay with a very nice beach, good snorkling and, with the rental car that comes with your reservation, you can explore the island and do dives anywhere you want. However, it is not all-inclusive; so that may be a deal breaker for you. That said, we love staying there for a less dive-intense vacation. If you’re looking for big time night life... stay on the West End. If you want to relax and play the day by ear, I suggest Turtlenest Inn. There are many dive ops on the island and all are good... they have to be due to the competition. Any one of them could get you out to the Kittewake for an easy wreck dive.

Hope this helps. KathyV should be along soon to provide more insight.

Jake,
Your best best will probably be on the West End of the island. You can do all of those things there with ease. We prefer the East End, but our approach to spending time in Grand Cayman is a bit different than yours. I will make a suggestion, however, and that is to stay at the Turtlenest Inn in Boddentown. That lies along the south shore about half way between the East End and the West End. It is a nice quiet place to stay with a very nice beach, good snorkling and, with the rental car that comes with your reservation, you can explore the island and do dives anywhere you want. However, it is not all-inclusive; so that may be a deal breaker for you. That said, we love staying there for a less dive-intense vacation. If you’re looking for big time night life... stay on the West End. If you want to relax and play the day by ear, I suggest Turtlenest Inn. There are many dive ops on the island and all are good... they have to be due to the competition. Any one of them could get you out to the Kittewake for an easy wreck dive.

Hope this helps. KathyV should be along soon to provide more insight.

I think we'd rather focus on diving over the other things I mentioned. Would you still suggest Turtlenest if that's the case? Where would be a good place to stay closer to better dive sites with shorter boat rides?

We prefer the East End, but our approach to spending time in Grand Cayman is a bit different than yours.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why do you prefer the east end?

I would suggest Cayman Brac. Its extremely laid back and private. There isn't much to do other than diving but there are a few other things to see on island. The cave and the bluffs are nice but I never got the chance to get over to that end of the island. I was there the week you are considering this past New Years. I stayed at Cayman Brac Beach Resort. There might have been 30-40 people at the resort so it wasn't packed or crowded by any means. The attached picture is a view of the resort from atop the bar area which always had people there in the evening. They have a New Years party there that seemed like it was one of the few places on the island that had something for New Years. It was a good time had by all.

I believe there are places to shore dive but with the resort you have a AM boat dive that consists of 2 dives and the option to add one in the afternoon. By mid week I was whipped with the 3 days...I took 2 dives off mid week.

Attachments

• 1-171848525.jpg
    1-171848525.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I would suggest Cayman Brac.

Do you fly there from the main island or take ferry of some sort?

Look at Southern Cross little cayman, fantastic or incredible or outstanding or exceptional or possibility best in Carribean diving. All inclusive but really good food. Bungalows with outdoor showers, honeymoon suite with outdoor loo. Quiet, laid back, true barefoot elegance. Small resort with a big heart. Our favorite place in carribean. P.m. me for more info. Bill and DeeDee

Jake,
Your best best will probably be on the West End of the island. You can do all of those things there with ease. We prefer the East End, but our approach to spending time in Grand Cayman is a bit different than yours. I will make a suggestion, however, and that is to stay at the Turtlenest Inn in Boddentown. That lies along the south shore about half way between the East End and the West End. It is a nice quiet place to stay with a very nice beach, good snorkling and, with the rental car that comes with your reservation, you can explore the island and do dives anywhere you want. However, it is not all-inclusive; so that may be a deal breaker for you. That said, we love staying there for a less dive-intense vacation. If you’re looking for big time night life... stay on the West End. If you want to relax and play the day by ear, I suggest Turtlenest Inn. There are many dive ops on the island and all are good... they have to be due to the competition. Any one of them could get you out to the Kittewake for an easy wreck dive. Hope this helps. KathyV should be along soon to provide more insight.

Look at Southern Cross little cayman, fantastic or incredible or outstanding or exceptional or possibility best in Carribean diving. All inclusive but really good food. Bungalows with outdoor showers, honeymoon suite with outdoor loo. Quiet, laid back, true barefoot elegance. Small resort with a big heart. Our favorite place in carribean. P.m. me for more info. Bill and DeeDee

Unfortunately, at this late date I don't know if you could even find accommodations over New Years on Grand Cayman, and if you do find something it would be very, very expensive. New Year's Eve is said to be lovely on GC and everyone watches the fireworks from the beach; but things book up way in advance and they are very pricey.

There are not many all-inclusive resorts in the Caymans, mostly hotels and restaurants and lots of condos, and some small (nice, clean, air-conditioned) diver-dedicated AI resorts with onsite dive ops. But you can arrange diving from wherever you stay. If you find a place on the West Side and Seven Mile Beach, the dive ops will pick you up in a van and drive to the marina - or they will pick you up by boat on the beach. If you stay at a more out-of-the-way spot, you may have to drive to the boat and there is rush hour traffic driving to the west bay area and George Town; so you would want to take that into consideration.

We love Turtle Nest Inn on Grand Cayman, but not for a dive intensive trip. We always do some diving on GC but these days we prefer relaxing and enjoying the topside restaurants and activities for a week on GC and TNI is great for us. But when we want to focus primarily on diving we head over to one of the sister islands of Brac or Little for a week at a small all-inclusive dive resort.

There are some terrific large hotels on GC, but New Years is at the height of the high season and hotels are likely to be crowded and expensive. A lot of people prefer to rent condos or apartments on GC so that they can prepare some simple meals and then go out for a great meal once or twice a day - but maybe you don't want to do any cooking on your honeymoon, and that is understandable.

You didn't mention budget but if price is an issue and you want to be on Grand Cayman, take a look at the Sunshine Suites on 7MB, it is across the street from the Westin but you will have full access to the Westin facilities, the beach, and their onsite dive op. You will have a kitchen at SS and can prepare some meals to help control costs. Not cheap but it puts you in the middle of the 7MB area at a cheaper price.

You could also look at Sunset House, nothing fancy but nice and clean and the grounds are beautiful and it has a great beach bar.. It is not on the beach but on ironshore, but breakfast is included and you have access to unlimited diving on the house reef, an onsite dive op, and you are close to George Town restaurants and shops.

Cobalt Coast is an all-inclusive with an onsite dive op and unlimited shore diving in addition to boat diving - but that area of the island is often winded out during the winter and you may not be able to shore dive on the house reef. It is on ironshore and they have a small, man-made beach and a pool. It is a nice place but low key and it is out-of-the way, so you will need a car to explore the island.

I agree that you should look at the sister islands. The Cayman Brac Beach Resort is a lovely small resort with good food and great diving and a gorgeous big infinity pool. The food is buffet but very good.

The diving is even better off Little Cayman and the Little Cayman Beach Resort is very similar to the CBBR - they are owned by the same family and have the same dive op (so is Cobalt Coast on GC).

Again there are not big, fancy resorts, they are clean and comfortable and friendly and they have good dive ops. Both the CBBR and the LCBR have lounging beaches but not swimming beaches. They have turtle grass and boat traffic. There are swimming beaches on the sister islands but if you really want a great beach, then Grand Cayman and 7MB is the best choice.

@wildbill9 mentioned the Southern Cross Club on LC, and it is smaller and more upscale than LCBR but more expensive, but that might be a very nice choice for a dive-centered Honeymoon.

Congratulations on your marriage and I hope you find a great place to celebrate the New Year and a new life together!

Last edited:
Relatively close proximity to stuff to do on land (hang at the beach, excursions, etc) would be nice.
What sort of things because ypu'll find very little else to do on either of the Sister Islands - there aren't even many restaurant optioms, Also I believe that of the two there are far more shore dive options on Brac.

My personal suggestion would also be somewhere on Grand Caynan

Since it's your honeymoon probably a resort. The nice ones on Seven Mile Beach - which is a very nice beach - have no shore dives. The two semi-AI resorts, Sunset House just south of town (walkable distance) or Cobalt Coast on the north side have no beach as they're on ironshore.Actually there's a small strip of sand at CC but you have to step over ironshore to get to the water, You can see it here.
Also know that CC is about 20 mins, north of town in a quiet residential area so you would be driving to everything from there. It's big advantage for diving is the North Wall is close there - a longish surface swim. When Divetech was there they would drop you off on the wall to swim back in - IDK if Reef Divers offers the same option.

My sisteers family used to stay at TNI but it's about 20 mins from anything also - including most restaurants and all the dive options, The closest probably being Ocean Frontiers on the East End.

There's no shore diving in the East End although there is at least one AI with a beach and dive operation on site - the Reef Resort, For condos Ocean Frontiers is based at Compass Point - they have a small restaurant also for guests mainly.

There's also an AI on Seven Mile Beach but it's more of a condo/timeshare resort so maybe not the best.

As someone mentioned, the Kittiwake is a dive cleaned wreck put downin about 70' just off SMB on the north.Most shops dive it on a schedule.

If it were my Honeymoon I'd consider the Marriott Grand or the Westin. Both nice properties mid Seven Mile Beach, Any boat dive operation you choose will pick you up by van daily - most keep their boats in marinas directly behind SMB on the sound which gives easy access to the North Wall/ NW Point areas for many of the better dives, Red Sail Watersports has locations at both resorts and will sometimes beach a boat there to dive the sites too far off SMB to swim to. But there's alot of good dive operators to choose from also - RSW handles some cruise dives so may not be ideal for you. www.cita.ky for the complete list.

A few minutes south to Georgetown which is nice when the cruise ships leave and a few minutes north to the tourist attractions in the West Bay area including the best of the shore dives at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point or Cobalt Coast. Also plan an afternoon diving at Sunset House - there's a small wreck there plus the Amphitrite statue in 60' fsw. My Bar is good for lunch and the Cathy Church Photo store/gallery is worth a stop.

Many of the other activities are near Georgetown or along the Sound or in the general West Bay area so I'd personally look to stay wiyhin a few minutes drive.

Unless you like it really quiet then the East End which is a 45 minute drive east with limited resort, food,diving options - and no shore dives except a couple like Babylon whcih is a difficult entry and a long surface swim out - far easier to dive from Ocean Frontier's or Tortuga Divers (Red Sail) boat.

Congratulations..

ps bring more noney than you expect - everything on Cayman is pricey. Some really excellent restaurant choices for those special dinners ..

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom