Honest opinions on equipment that won't break the bank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I haven't even started my classes yet, but I know two things.
1. I don't have enough unbiased information to make an informed decision on what equipment to buy.
2. The guy who runs my local dive shop can't stop saying "Ca-Ching!" every time I stop by.
Please, I'm looking for honest opinions on equipment that won't break the bank.

I've got the basics, Gloves, Boots, Fins, Mask and Snorkel.
(He wanted to charge me $60+ for a snorkel.)
BCD, Wetsuit, Regulators. Bigger ticket items.
Anything or any company to avoid outright?

You may or may not choose to purchase from them, but you should definitely compare prices at leisurepro.com. You have to judge what a manufacturer's warranty is worth to you--not nearly as much as many people claim, in my opinion. There is very little bad equipment out there--there is unnecessary equipment and over-priced equipment though. Do some reading here before deciding, and keep in mind that some of the posters here have the same biases that your LDS does. Good luck.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/114279-what-did-you-buy-you-regret.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ing/322484-scuba-gear-budget.html#post5026278

I have a great relationship with my LDS, since they are the only shop within 100 miles. When I started diving, they told me they would lend me equipment to try and if I bought somewhere else they would charge me a rental fee for using there stuff. I have been very happy, although I have purchased some things I hated to spend that much money to get...however I have been satisfied. I am getting ready to go to Maui, and I am borrowing a computer to test.

I have had the opportunity to try out four different steel tanks. I now know which one works for me. Try things, then you will know where you want to go and have an idea of how to get there.

A snorkel is jut a snorkel. We had a $125.00 version at the shop. It worked just like my old US Diver $10 one.

I do enjoy buying from them...they have been very competitive on some items and a little pricey on others. I like the convenience and service. Sucks to have to return something the week before vacation because it is defective.

Good Luck, hope you have fun.

You can save a lot of money buying used. Buy name brands Scubapro, Aqua Lung, Oceanic, Zeagle etc. Don't buy equipment that is too old. The reason you want name brands is they are of good quality and can be serviced locally. I would say no more than 3 years. Two would be better. Make sure that it has recently been serviced because it will cost you to get it serviced to make sure it is safe. You can get almost new gear from people who get certified, make a few dives and then they just give up the sport.

I would not buy gear for awhile to make sure you like the sport and plan on diving on a regular basis or you will end up buying a bunch of gear that sits in the closet and you like the others end up selling your new gear at half price of what you paid for it.

To get a feel of what the best gear is, I would do an internet search "best scuba regulators" etc.
Scuba folks have lots of opinions, so do your own research and get as knowledgeable as possible to make a good choice.

I have an Aqua Lung Legend LX Supreme Regulators, Oceanic Pro Plus 2 computer, Zeagle Ranger BC, DUI 450 drysuit, and steel HP 100 cu. tanks and I bought them all used (except the tanks) and they will last for many years. I virtually saved several hundred dollars compared to new.

There is a lot of great quality gear out there and much of your choice is just personnel preference.

One lesson i learned the hard way (bought all my gear twice :dork2:)is to not try to do this hobby cheaply. If you buy cheap gear that's exactly what you'll get, cheap gear. Having said that, there is definately a point of diminishing return for MOST diving. You don't have to get -insert name- brand-new titanium regulator to have a solid set-up that will last for years.

Regulators: Here in Monterey, most people use Atomic, Aqualung, or Scubapro for regulators. I've used both Atomic and Aqualung and prefer Aqualung. Apex is good too, as they are a division of Aqualung.

Computers: Suunto is a solid, if not conservative, computer. You can get used ones here on SB for a good price. Personally, I'd stay away from Oceanic computers. 2 friends had the veo (?) and had issues with durability.

Wet suits: Not too much to say about them as I dive dry :eyebrow: But I DO own an Aqualung semi-dry and loved it when i used it. Lots of people seem to dive the Henderson suits, maybe someone with more experience will have better advice.

This is a good place to get lots of opinions on gear.

I haven't even started my classes yet, but I know two things.
1. I don't have enough unbiased information to make an informed decision on what equipment to buy.
2. The guy who runs my local dive shop can't stop saying "Ca-Ching!" every time I stop by.
Please, I'm looking for honest opinions on equipment that won't break the bank.

I've got the basics, Gloves, Boots, Fins, Mask and Snorkel.
(He wanted to charge me $60+ for a snorkel.)
BCD, Wetsuit, Regulators. Bigger ticket items.
Anything or any company to avoid outright?

Wait until after your class before spending any major $$$. If possible rent equipment for the first several dives after you are certified, and try to rent different brands and models.

Will you be diving locally and often, or only on vacations? Water temperature where you plan to dive?

You do not have to buy the most expensive regulator, wetsuit or BC. There are many good brands, and VERY few bad ones.

You will probably pay more (often a LOT more) if you purchase your equipment at the local dive store, versus online. There are pro's and con's to buying locally and buying online, especially as a brand new diver. Getting good advice on gear setup, adjustment, servicing, etc., is the tradeoff you should expect for paying a bit more at the local dive shop... But the reality may be that the store is going to try to sell you what they have in stock, and this may or may not be in your "best interest" depending on the type of diving you plan to do.

Many of us have "bought twice" because we did not really know what we needed, or what direction we would eventually take with our diving.

That is why I recommend renting for awhile if possible, talking to other divers, and asking lots of questions here... until you feel ready to buy.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!

as others have already said, diving a wee bit before you buy will make it easy that way you will a)know it is something you really enjoy (diving is not cheap) and b) you will have a better idea of what YOU want not possibly what an LDS is currently selling or someone else is pushing.

Agree totally, there seems to be very little "bad" dive gear just unecessary perhaps or expensive or gimmicky etc etc.

One thing I have noticed on forums in general, perhaps not unpredictably, often people will simply recommend gear for no other reason than that they own it, its human nature I think. That being said it goes to show that there is truly little "bad" gear out there.

Read around this forum and "Scubatoys" (sorry if thats rude to recommend another forum) and you will find almost limitless info on equipment and diving in general.

For me searching, finding out info, buying are almost as fun as the actual diving. Good luck.

I would use caution if buying used. While some gear is okay to get used - fins, snorkel, BCD - it doesn't make sense for other gear. If you buy a used regulator, you should get it serviced before diving it. By the time you pay for the regulator and then the servicing, you will spend almost as much as if you bought a new one.

As some of the others said already. You can find top of the line gear on here used and a fraction of the Dive shops will charge. (Halcyon,Diverite,ScubaPro,Atomic) Just to name a few. But just remember when ever buying used gear Always get it serviced.

When I got certified I made sure the equipment that I bought today would last me through my diving it's best to plan for the future when purchasing equipment so that your not buying twice. Equipment I got

Halcyon Eclipse - BCD
Scubapro - MK17/G250V - Reg's (Also have MK25/S600 and An ATOMIC M1 set)
Computer - Personal Preference really whether you want wrist or Console Air integrated or not.
Wetsuit - I do not own If I was to buy one It would be a Henderson/Bare/Pinnacle
Drysuit - Need to figure out what type you want. for me it was between DUI/Bare. I went with the Bare HD-Tech Dry

You can find all the names here online and will wind up costing you half what Dive shop may be charg you. If you want to buy new just not from a DiveShop you can look here for great deals.

www.leisurepro.com
www.scubatoys.com

Agree with most everything everyone else posted. Hold off on purchases. If you can get contacts with other divers, dive clubs that would be good. A lot of people have extra gear that they would be more than happy letting you try out. You would get a lot of other opinions as well. Make sure you know why someone doesn't like a piece of equipment as it can depend on what kind of diving you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom