honest opinion between two Sherwoods and a Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayakguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, I am looking for legitimate experience here. Will I be able to tell any real difference between the Zeagle flathead VI, and the Sherwood Maximus. And just for kicks I will throw in the Blizzard too.

My LDS is recommending the Blizzard. I am a new diver and this will be my first reg. I really believe they are looking out for what they believe is in my best interest as they sell both.

Money is not an issue. But foolishly spending, when it is not needed does not make you a wealthy man. I just want good performance and a little more now is better than another reg in a year.

(edit: I did mean VI not IV)

I dive a Zeagle 50D and have over 100 dives on it.
Ice dives, quarry dives and ocean dives.
No problems ever, no freeze ups, no nothing, the design is rock solid and the reg is environmentally sealed.
In my opinion you will never see the performance difference between the 50D(or the DSV which is the same reg but without the swivel) and the more expensive ones your LDS is selling. Is the flathead a better reg, yes. Are you ever going to take advantage of the "betterness" ---- not unless you get into tech diving. And if you get into tech diving buying a new reg will be the least of your expenses.
Sort of like the difference between a Hummer and Jeep - the Hummer is better than the jeep, but will you ever take it into a warzone so that you can benifit from the "betterness" probably not.

Bottom line the 50D or DSV is an excellent reg for any kind of diving and bullet proof.

Just my 2psi

another vote for the zeagle D50

I dive a Zeagle Flathead VI (I assume that's what you meant, too). Wonderful reg. I own three. Never had a freeze up (water often in the 30s). Breathe very well. Highly recommend.

the Flathead is the best of the three named, imo. but, as has been said, it's really spending money you don't need to spend.

the DS V is a great regulator, and you won't be able to tell the difference:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleDSV

also, ScubaToys gives full warranty and a 10% ScubaBoard discount

I have never dove a Zeagle reg, I have dove the whole range of Sherwood prior to purchasing my regs. I can only say that the maximus was the least favorite I dove of the whole line, even the budget BRUT was better in my mouth, I hated the house routing the MAximus provide (under arm) and didn't like the dials (difficult to move with cold water gloves on). The advantage to the Sherwood, is very cheap to service (very simple kits) and excellent in cold waters (I have many experiences in 32F salt water midwinter with air temps below 0!!!! ) Very rugged, so a consideration for the Zeagle may be service $$$$, local service??? and also what type of diving are you PLANNING on doing down the road?? Talk to the dive shops, and if you have the opportuinty try to rent or dive both regs prior to purchasing, that way you can make up your own mind about all this. Good luck and safe diving

Karl

The more expensive reg may be cheaper in the long run. Getting no more than you need right now will mean that if you grow into more aggressive diving you may grow out of that budget reg you started off with. Spending the money for the zeagle will put you into a reg that you can grow in to. And one reg is always less money that two.

I have no experience with zeagle regs but I have a maximus and have dove with a blizzard. I would not recomend the blizzard. The maximus is a much easier breather. I have had it down to 110 fow with no problems. The underarm routing, it keeps the hose close to your body and you do not get the jaw fatiuge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom