Honduras Diving late July - dive operation recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowtempo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings,
I planning on visiting Honduras, Rotaan late July / early August. I'll probably be traveling solo and bringing my own gear. Can someone recommend a good dive operation "non-cattleboat" and place to stay for a solo diver?

I have close to 50 logged dives and a Advanced Open Water diver.

Thanks in advance.....

Check our Coconut Tree Divers in the West End. I hear they are great and they have dorm style lodging. Will be leaving for Roatan in 11 days!
You need to put this post on Bay Island site.
Lynn

thanks lynn. I think Ill check coconut tree drivers out. they seem to be a fun bunch of folks....

I second Coconut Tree Divers, they ARE a great bunch of folks. We dove with them a week last spring. It's a non-cattleboat operation, they only have two boats and all our trips were 12 or less, sometimes just the 7 of us. And they went way above what was expected, booking us with other diveops, arranging transportation, etc.

I've been in two of their cabins, they're decent but basic and older. Located right behind the main diveshop/store/restaurant so you won't have much of a view. They had one of the best generator setups, twice we didn't even notice the power was off elsewhere till we went outside.
I paid about 3x as much to rent a nice house on the point and our power failed more often.

CTD is just off one of the main roads into the West End so cabs congregate there. The West End really starts there and goes west for about a mile or more til you get to West Bay. Dozens of bars, restaurants, shops etc. There's two foodstores in the area, one at CTD and the other just a block away. Sundowners about 100' to the east is a local hangout right on the beach.

There's other reasonably priced lodging in that area but most of it is across the road from Half Moon Beach. Some have views, the ones that do tend to show it on their website.

If I was solo, I'd want to stay in the West End. Most of the known dive resorts (Cocoview, FIBR, Anthony's Key etc.) were surprisingly (to me) isolated. And very quiet at night. Note that most of them provide shuttle service, there's a reason for that - besides you don't want to rent a car on Roatan for liability reasons.

I don't feel like we missed anything diving all week with CTD, Most of my friends thought the best dive we did was Spooky Channel, we did it with CTD. Texas was another good site in that area. They also arranged the Waihuka shark dive for us and some south side dives with Barefoot Cay so we got to dive Mary's Place and the Prince Albert off Cocoview. Also did the dolphin dive at AKR.

CTD's owner, Gay couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. She's on SB as cocoloca. marcoa here is one of their instructors also.

I've moved this post to the Bay Islands forum.

I'll probably be traveling solo and bringing my own gear. Can someone recommend a good dive operation "non-cattleboat" and place to stay for a solo diver?

- How many dives per day do you intend?

- I understand that you are a solo-traveller- do you also intend to be a solo diver?

Accurate answers to your question will vary depending upon your responses.

I see that you've already been diving in the Philippines... one of my all time favorite places. Diving on Roatan similarly varies widely by location- even on the same island. You won't find those crazy currents of Puerto Galera, but the intricate reef structures that you can find only in certain areas of PG are similar to the ranges in Roatan. It isn't the same offshore everywhere on either of the islands!

I plan to do about a two tank dives per day and staying about a week. I'll be traveling solo, but dont plan on diving solo. Id like to dive with a guide or divemaster from a dive operation.

Do you think there will be a chance to see a whale sharks during the end of July / Early August time frame. That would just be great....

Thanks for everyones advice, this board is great!!

I plan to do about a two tank dives per day and staying about a week. I'll be traveling solo, but dont plan on diving solo. Id like to dive with a guide or divemaster from a dive operation.

With that information, I would agree with the above posters- you'll find just what you are looking for on Roatan's West End.

The chances of seeing a Whale Shark are diminished substantially by the time of year, but even more so by the intended low frequency diving schedule.

Fortune rewards the persistent. Go for the diving, if you get a Whale Shark? Truly amazing and good for you!

Hi there,
You can check out roatan-guavagrove.com for an awesome spot to stay. The managers are well versed with the diving on the island as they are professionals themselves with over 5 years experience on the island working in the industry. Guava Grove is a perfect spot for the single traveller.

Have fun!
Cheryl

Attachments

• The Oasis people in pool.jpg
    The Oasis people in pool.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 66

Back
Top Bottom