Homosassa...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salty_dog_68

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Patty and I are going this month to explore the Homosassa River for the first time. So far I have found McCrae's for a boat ramp and info on the park. Can anyone give me the down-low on Homosassa River. Are ther more/better boat ramps? Do the boat ramps have fees? Are the boat ramps big enough to handle an 18' open fish? Is the park and spring head separated from the rest of the river? Are there dive sites outside the park? etc...etc. Thanks in advance for any input. We may have room on the boat for one or two to play along if interested. I will post any availability. The more the merrier!

salty

Salty
What will you be doing there? Diving the springs, looking for Scallops, fossil collecting?

c. all of the above
i have never been there so i am looking for ideas. i would love to find some cool fossils, eat some fresh scallops, and dive the springs. could i do it all in two days? i told patty if we were having fun and the room was available we would stay an extra day. so, we would have 2 days on the river. i have neve been scalloping or fossil collecting anywhere, much less homosassa. what do i need to know?

Salty, I have VERY limited experience on the Homo river but I ran a pontoon up and down it once for a manatee snorkel. The boat was rented so it was already in the water. Toward the headsprings/park the water gets clearer and fresher but I didnt see anything I would want to scuba. The headsprings are the best place to see manatees in the winter months when the water is cold. The river is shallow and it is mainly no wake, idle speed. After the manatees I motored toward the gulf but time was running out so I had to turn back before I made it there.
As far as scallops, I would think there would be some in the gulf but I havent tried there yet. PM me when you get up there and maybe we could try it together.

The Crystal River has more springs to scuba and it should also have scallops in the gulf. You may want to spend a day on this river as well.

McCrae's boat ramp & Riverside, next door can handle your boat. I think they are charging a few bucks each to launch. You can get accomadodations there too, which is very convenient. I have never seen many people diving the river. The further upstream you go, the clearer it is. The headsprings is blocked off by " Homosassa Springs Park, " so no diving. It is a nice park to visit & see manatees, & other critters.
Be forewarned though,,, that the area is crowded, rooms are harder to find, & many boaters are there now due to " Scallop season." The season ends Sept.10th. For a back-up plan, check with Days Inn, Crystal River, for rooms. I would book as soon as I could ! They have a boat ramp , you can leave your boat in the water, or have plenty of room to park it. You can dive King's Spring in Crystal River, just a short boat ride away. If you want to scallop, I would get a map of the river. In this area, there are plenty of oyster bars, shallow water, that can ruin your day !
You can also dive Rainbow River, in Dunnellon, about 20 miles away, [ yes, you can take your boat & put in at K.P. Hole Park, & head upstream. Devil's Den & Blue Grotto are other dive sites about 45 miles N. of C. River.
Need anymore info, send me an I.M.

Thanks guys. i did already make reservations at the days inn C.R. That will be home base for a few days. I figured that during scallop season rooms would be limited so i made a resv early. The plan is to spend one day at fort island and the gulf trying my hand at scalloping, one day at the river head diving the springs, and one day(maybe two) on the homosassa (looking for fossils seems to be the thing to do).

bill - lets do it! i will email you all info with dates. hopefully you can come and play on the river with us at least one day.

esteban - thanks a lot! i see you are near williston. i have a williston connection. i worked at nature coast hospital for about a year right after college. used to commute from gainesville. the wife and i love the williston area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom