Homegrown thigh pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pocket! I really like that you have a spot for shears on the side. I own the dive rite pocket and love it..it's a great place for my smb and roll up snorkel. Brewonetoo, I've never had a problem frog kicking with the pocket on.

I would put grommets in as drains.
The netting material tends to come apart at sewn in edges.
It creates just what every divers needs, a convenient place to lose things from. LOL

---------- Post added April 7th, 2012 at 08:20 AM ----------

I have one of these pockets, Only dove with it 4 times.
I thought I did something wrong on the 3 dives following the 1st one.

You can't frog kick with it on.(Standard Tec kick)
It's straps migrate below your knees, then you can't straighten your leg.
Unless you glue it on with Aqua Seal, it's the worst designed POS I own.

Basically what I am saying is try not to copy Dive Rites version too closely.
Does anyone remember when if you needed tec gear you have to DIY because it just wasn't available?

I have never had mesh come unsewn in all my years of using it. This particular piece of mesh is actually a scrap from an old horse collar BC so it's possible it will come unsewn, but I doubt it. It already had two seams and I added 3 more, so it should stay in place.

Are you sure the dive rite pocket you have is the one with the fancy silicone strips on the elastic strap? I have never tried one out but if it's anything like mine I don't see how it could possibly slip down your leg. I walked around the house (albeit dry) with my wetsuit and this pocket for about 40 minutes to see if it would migrate. It didn't budge even 1 cm so I don't see how it could possibly slide down far enough to slip around my knee, even wet. I actually don't think mine could reach my knee fully extended from the waist belt.

I appreciate the input, though, as I have no experience using one on a dive.

I was wondering the same thing about the elastic with rubber backing. My pocket seems secure with just the thigh strap, and with it clipped to the waist belt I am not sure how you would get it down past your knee.

I got to dive the pocket yesterday. Much to my dismay, it did indeed rotate around to the front of my leg. Not a big issue, but I'm going to shorten up the belt loop and the thigh strap about an inch to 2 inches each, just to help keep it in one place. I think making the sidewalls a bit stiffer will help with that too, so I'm considering some options for that.

I got to dive the pocket yesterday. Much to my dismay, it did indeed rotate around to the front of my leg. Not a big issue, but I'm going to shorten up the belt loop and the thigh strap about an inch to 2 inches each, just to help keep it in one place. I think making the sidewalls a bit stiffer will help with that too, so I'm considering some options for that.

Sewing some 2" webbing should help with that.

I just finished mine and attached it to my weight belt. I went for the modular approach as well (didn't hard attach it) since I figured that would allow me to attach to my waist belt if I ever eliminate ditch-able weight.

One thing I noticed that may be useful is to attach / make the thigh strap depth compensating. I'm considering stringing some thin bungee / shock cord into the webbing to give it that feature. This may help reduce that rotation problem, though I couldn't be sure. It's raining here this week, so I won't be able to test it quite yet.

I use the Dive Right pocket. I have also modified it to hold a knife. I use a steel (epoxy coated) plate as a back plate for the sheath and attached it to the side of the pocket. It works great.

I just finished mine and attached it to my weight belt. I went for the modular approach as well (didn't hard attach it) since I figured that would allow me to attach to my waist belt if I ever eliminate ditch-able weight.

One thing I noticed that may be useful is to attach / make the thigh strap depth compensating. I'm considering stringing some thin bungee / shock cord into the webbing to give it that feature. This may help reduce that rotation problem, though I couldn't be sure. It's raining here this week, so I won't be able to test it quite yet.

Well my thigh strap is made from elastic so it should be somewhat depth compensating already. I still need to get back on the machine and make the mods I want to make. My trip starts in a 8 days so I've been busy doing some other prep work. This weekend I should have time though.

Do you think there could possibly be a problem ditching your weight if the pocket is attached to the weight belt and your thigh? I sure wouldn't know how to release your weights.

I am still in the thought of attach the pockets to your suit, or use shorts, as they stay in place. Plus if you ditch your kit/weight belt they are still on your person. Especially since ALL my safety gear is in my thigh pocket. We also have kelp that likes to grab any open corner it can.

The thought of building my own pockets gets me excited, except I don't need another set at this point. DIY stuff is fun, albeit sometimes just as expensive as buying, but that isn't why we do it. Other times the only choice is to make it since nothing is made like we want. Of course most of the time it is much cheaper to make something than to buy it, especially if you have the materials and equipment to do so.

My next sewing project is to make a new boat cover from the Sunbrella material I already have.

I dump weights from pockets (xs scuba?) attached to the belt, not the belt itself. I think I'll have my pocket finished tonight. Hopeful I'll get to dive it next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom