Homebrew GoPro tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had the Sola light already, and was looking for an easy way to attach it to my new GoPro. This looks like it will work, will find out on Monday when I take it into the ocean! Folds up too, and I used some strobe arms that were lying around...

gopro_rig.jpg

Comments? Suggested improvements?

Great idea. I like how you re-used your existing stobe arms and that it folds. Following your concept, you can easily add another arm and light too. The additional weight and spread of the arms/lights should help stabilize and the folding makes it easy for entry/exit. Genius.

The only thing I would suggest is on the mounting of the GoPro. I see you are using a stick on mount. I did the same for my helmet. What I did do though is use some waterproof bathtub silicone to go around the base of the mount. I basically sealed in the sticker pad. I did not want to let the adhesive tape get wet and possibly lose it's tackiness over time. I do see that you ziptied and ran a lanyard to it though. Just an suggestion. Otherwise, kudos for creativity and using what you had!

Great idea. I like how you re-used your existing stobe arms and that it folds. Following your concept, you can easily add another arm and light too. The additional weight and spread of the arms/lights should help stabilize and the folding makes it easy for entry/exit. Genius.

Thanks! Yes, a second Sola 1200 would do a lot for the coverage, which is lacking with a single light, especially in wide angle mode. On the other hand, I don't know if I want to sink another $700 into the GoPro project. On the other hand, I could use them both when I go back to my big rig. On the third hand, there is no such thing as too much underwater photography equipment! :)

JamesK:
The only thing I would suggest is on the mounting of the GoPro. I see you are using a stick on mount. I did the same for my helmet. What I did do though is use some waterproof bathtub silicone to go around the base of the mount. I basically sealed in the sticker pad. I did not want to let the adhesive tape get wet and possibly lose it's tackiness over time. I do see that you ziptied and ran a lanyard to it though. Just an suggestion. Otherwise, kudos for creativity and using what you had!

Yup, that did occur to me as well, even though I had some cave line and a zip tie "backing up" the sticky pad. So what I did since I took that photo was to get the tripod base for the GoPro, then I got a large tripod screw with a big knurled end that fits perfectly through the arm and screws into the GoPro, locking it in place. That adhesive is surprisingly strong, though. It took some effort to get it off!

Thanks! Yes, a second Sola 1200 would do a lot for the coverage, which is lacking with a single light, especially in wide angle mode. On the other hand, I don't know if I want to sink another $700 into the GoPro project. On the other hand, I could use them both when I go back to my big rig. On the third hand, there is no such thing as too much underwater photography equipment! :)

Yup, that did occur to me as well, even though I had some cave line and a zip tie "backing up" the sticky pad. So what I did since I took that photo was to get the tripod base for the GoPro, then I got a large tripod screw with a big knurled end that fits perfectly through the arm and screws into the GoPro, locking it in place. That adhesive is surprisingly strong, though. It took some effort to get it off!

Ahhh just do it. A second SOLA 1200 is great! I have two of them on my setup. :) I still need more! I am addicted to lights!

Sounds like the tripod screw will do the trick! That adhesive is very strong, but I was just worried about over time exposure to water.

Ahhh just do it. A second SOLA 1200 is great! I have two of them on my setup. :) I still need more! I am addicted to lights!

Darn it, James... your flawless logic has just cost me $700...!! My LDS thanks you...

:)

Darn it, James... your flawless logic has just cost me $700...!! My LDS thanks you...

:) Good stuff! I am actually going to buy one of the Photo 500's as well. I need a focus light for night photography and the red light is cool. :) ARGH....

OI am also having my flooded Halcyon can light upgraded to a 1600 lumen, or more, video light. I really hate this.

I'm running twin Sola 600's, the 500's don't have both flood AND spot mode, just spot.

My only comment, is to put the light and handle on the other/left side. I found with my twin grips, I handled my rig 90% of the time via the left grip, which allowed the right hand to operate the shutter on/off for 10-20-30 second clips.

What about your Mangrove lights ?

Very bright, not so good for this purpose, I found out. Good as a focus light, but I have had issues and I don't want to buy another one of those. Also VERY heavy, two would be hard to lug around. Want to buy mine?

---------- Post added ----------

I'm running twin Sola 600's, the 500's don't have both flood AND spot mode, just spot.

My only comment, is to put the light and handle on the other/left side. I found with my twin grips, I handled my rig 90% of the time via the left grip, which allowed the right hand to operate the shutter on/off for 10-20-30 second clips.

Actually, I rarely grip it by the side support... since the gopro doesn't let me start/stop like I am used to with the trigger on my Nauticam housing. I usually just hold the ball at the end and push it where I want it to go...

M

Back
Top Bottom