Home made tool for replacing inflator oring.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverspoint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello, not sure this is the right place to put this, but I thought up something to make replacing the oring in the inflator connector a lot easier (for me).

I used a bolt that I made just small anough so it would go through into the connector when I pull back the ring, and back out through the new oring. Then I cut down a plug that was just the correct size to go into the opening.

To replace the oring I remove the old one, clean the connector, put enough grease on the oring, then slide the oring on the bolt. I then push the bolt into the opening, pulling back the ring to get the balls out of the way.

I push the bolt in deep enough so it gets onto the Schräder valve, maybe even pushing it down. Then I push the oring into the opening of the connector, as the oring is just too big to slide in by itself.

After this I push the oring in with the plug, until it seats where it should. Then I pull the plug out again, and after this I pull out the bolt. The last may be a bit tricky though.

Before I could be trying between 5 and 45 minutes to get in a new aring, now it never takes more then 5 minutes, mostly about 2 minutes.

I added pics of what I made. What do you think of it?

IMG_20170708_124031.jpg
IMG_20170708_124051.jpg
IMG_20170708_124055.jpg

This tool looks similar. I have one but have not tried it yet: LP Hose Kit

748.jpg

I have not found this, otherwise I would not have gone through the trouble of thinking this up

There's nothing wrong with DIY, I just don't have the skills to make what you did.

Hello, not sure this is the right place to put this, but I thought up something to make replacing the oring in the inflator connector a lot easier (for me).

I used a bolt that I made just small anough so it would go through into the connector when I pull back the ring, and back out through the new oring. Then I cut down a plug that was just the correct size to go into the opening.

To replace the oring I remove the old one, clean the connector, put enough grease on the oring, then slide the oring on the bolt. I then push the bolt into the opening, pulling back the ring to get the balls out of the way.

I push the bolt in deep enough so it gets onto the Schräder valve, maybe even pushing it down. Then I push the oring into the opening of the connector, as the oring is just too big to slide in by itself.

After this I push the oring in with the plug, until it seats where it should. Then I pull the plug out again, and after this I pull out the bolt. The last may be a bit tricky though.

Before I could be trying between 5 and 45 minutes to get in a new aring, now it never takes more then 5 minutes, mostly about 2 minutes.

I added pics of what I made. What do you think of it?

View attachment 417184 View attachment 417185 View attachment 417186
For any similar oring tools and orings you can check my web page O-Ring Tools & Accessories Archives - Premium O-rings Provider for Scuba Diving
Hope you find more usefull tools and orings there.

Dunno, but I went and spent a whole six or seven bucks on one of those sets of three (very slightly different) brass dental picks, so I could pick out the old o-ring without any chance of scratching the stainless seat. Teasing the old one out and getting the new Viton one to sit down smoothly took a bit of patience, but the brass picks can be used for pretty much any o-ring you've got.

I didn't *need* Viton for this, btw. I just would rather use the more durable material, and never replace it again.

I guess you understand it wrong. This is not to take the oring out, but to put it in there.

And for this oring I use a pick with double hooks. Like this one:

O'ring Pick, Double Hook, Blue Plastic Handle

For this oring it is much more practical to get it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom