Home filling station pondering....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
I passed an Airgas store on the way to work this a.m. ...

(where I am now...it's raining and I'm so sweet I'd melt if I went out and worked in the rain... that's I'm in here putzing and pondering)

When I worked as a paramedic, we used to refill all of our own Oxygen bottles from a simple three H- tank cascade system, we also used to change out the big H-Tanks (methinks they were H's) that were part of the In-rig oxygen system.

So as I sit at my desk trying not to melt (dont forget, I'm sweet) I hopped on the Airgas website. Part of their service is to custom mix "specialty gasses" for thier customers.

Has anyone ever tried to do this with scuba air/EAN?

What I'm getting at is if I went to Airgas Inc and ordered up say....three H-tanks with specialty 32% EAN and propped and chained them up the the wall in the barn.....

Would I be able to fill my tanks at home (or in the back of my truck at the divesite) without the benefit of a compressor?

The kicker is I cannot remember what the Maximum pressure in the H-Tanks was. i.e. are they cranked up enough to fill my tanks (LP's) enough times to make it financially suitable?

Or better yet, How many LP 98's do you think I could fill to say....3100 # off of a single H-Tank (as in taking a full H-Tank diving)

Is all of this ludicrous? That's ok if it is....I'm used to being called ludicrous....and WINDY.

Windy....er...Wind OUT
(Literally and figuratively)

If you're thinking of the same tank we get our oxygen in, they're only filled to 2000 to 2250 or so. (I think the ratings I've seen are 2015 and 2265)
Rick

Or......buy the O2 and fill your tanks PP style and hope a "friendly"LDS will blow air over it for you.....or buy the compressor and PP blend ......or buy the compressor and continious blend ala some of the more resourceful members here.

I thought that my epiphany would revolutionize my little world!!!

I'm sure I'll eventually buy a compressor and continuous blend, not because I need one, but because I like to do things for myself, I just ordered the Oxygen Hacker the other day to send me on my way.........then again, another option is to work part-time at the LDS slinging Scum Balls and Tank Nets and Maybe I can get an employee discount...and technically I'd be doing it for myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom