Home Anti-swimmers Ear Brew?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr.rongilbert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I grew up with earaches and remember that it wasnt summer until I had a good one or two. I started using a mix of 50% Boric Acid solution and 50% distilled white vinegar and have been pain free for about 10 years by using it after (and before/after in dirty water). I just ran out of my brew and now cannot find boric acid in solution. I found some powdered but I would rather have what has worked.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a bottle of Boric Acid?

Does anyone have a home brew that has been working for them or one that was reccomended by and Ear/nose/throat Doctor? (the 50/50 mix was recommended by an ENT Doc.) I went to see him after using too much "swimmers ear" I think it was aero dry which is the same thing. If you are using an alcohol based ear solution (earbeer) please be careful - your ear has a protective coating of wax that protects the membrane. Using too much can remove the wax and irritate your ear making life miserable. :help:

As I understand it you just need to change the PH in your ear to where the bacteria is killed off - straight vinegar will work just fine but smells nasty... cutting it with the boric acid did the trick and didnt smell so bad.

Thanks and dive safe!!

G

Have never heard of boric acid for ear drying.I have been using earbeer for years with no problems.1/2 alcohol 1/2vinegar.I use it almost daily in the summer between diving and swimming in the pool.I would think most hardware stores should carry boric acid.

Have never heard of boric acid for ear drying.I have been using earbeer for years with no problems.1/2 alcohol 1/2vinegar.I use it almost daily in the summer between diving and swimming in the pool.I would think most hardware stores should carry boric acid.

That's what I use as well. Didn't know it was called "Earbeer", though. :D

I'm a fan of the 50% alcohol, 50% vinegar as well.
The vinegar prevents the infection; the alcohol breaks the surface tension of water to help dry the ear quickly, as well as cut the smell of the vinegar

"Earbeer" :rofl3:

K-valve calls it "salad dressing" b/c of the vinegar smell

I'm a fan of the 50% alcohol, 50% vinegar as well.
The vinegar prevents the infection; the alcohol breaks the surface tension of water to help dry the ear quickly, as well as cut the smell of the vinegar

"Earbeer" :rofl3:

K-valve calls it "salad dressing" b/c of the vinegar smell

I also add one drop of baby oil to this brew, in order to keep the ear canal from drying out (due to the alcohol).

Boric acid? That's a new one. I guess it could work like alcohol in disinfecting, but not for drying? Kills insects, too; great for roaches.

DAN has many articles on this of course as it's a common challenge to divers. One article suggests vinegar is the key ingredient, but I think alcohol serves a good purpose as well in drying and disinfecting.
That's what I've been using for years, after a few bad infections - the last one disabling me totally for a few days. I'll never forget now. I asked my grandson's ENT after his last ear surgery; he suggested the same. DrV suggests 1/3 each of vinegar, alcohol, and sterile water to reduce the sting some can't handle. He also says it has a 30 day life before the acidity breaks down too much, but it's virtually free so no biggie to replace it.
I also add one drop of baby oil to this brew, in order to keep the ear canal from drying out (due to the alcohol).
:hmmm: I know that some commercial products use lanolin. This sounds nice. I guess you'd need to shake before each use as the oil will float...?

Some suggest 1/3 each of vinegar, alcohol and hydrogen peroxide - which should never be put in ears! It probly breaks down to water in that solution tho, making it a harmless waste - maybe. Just don't.

Good discussion of the issue: Effect of Diving and Diving Hoods on the Bacterial Flora of the External Ear Canal and Skin

DAN recommends half and half white vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

While Vinegar/alcohol is good, what we used for earwash on the Tektite Project back in 1969 was equal parts of 15% Tannic Acid (15 gm. diluted to 100 ml), 15% Acetic Acid (15 ml diluted to 100 ml) and 50% isopropyl or ethanol (50 ml diluted to 100 ml) in a wash bottle. On Tektite we used ethanol because we had a bunch in the lab for pickling specimens. If you leave a wash bottle full of solution in the sun (e.g., on the dash of your car) it feels so good after the dive.

If you have access to any High School or College chemistry lab you can make it. Or you can likely get a pharmacist to make it up (get you doc to write it out as a prescription) or just get the stuff you need from any Chemical Supply company

1) Tannic acid (crystals), weight out 15 grams, transfer to a 100 ml volumetric flask and fill with water.

2) Acetic acid (liquid) put 50 ml or so of water into a 100 ml volumetric flask, slowly add 15 ml of glacial acetic acid then dilute to 100 ml with water.

3) Dilute an appropriate volume of alcohol with water so that you get 100 ml of a 50% alcohol solution.

Combine equal parts of the three solutions (in this case 100 ml each to make 300 ml of Tektite Solution).

Mineral oil in the ears before the dive, and Tektite Solution after. I've done this since '69 and never had any problems with my external acoustic meatus.

All good advice. I won't claim to be an expert here. I won't claim to know any better.

In fact just last month, I felt the beginnings of an ear infection approx. 2 days after diving CSSP. Being at the office and being in a pinch, I grabbed a bottle of laboratory grade isopropyl alcohol off the chemistry bench, used a soda straw to pipette some alcohol and dropped a few drops in my ear. Probably not the best thing to do; but it worked. My "beginning" ear infection never developed. Remembering how painful these things were from when I was a kid, I was very happy to deal with any minor side effects for this definite termination of an ear infection.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a bottle of Boric Acid?

I have a bottle of the boric acid liquid around here somewhere (the kind that says "Not for ophthalmological use"). I don't remember exactly but I think I may have gotten it at a local drug store, or maybe even Wally World.

Edit: Found the bottle of boric acid solution in the cabinet. Was hoping it had a price sticker with where I got it at but doesn't.

BORIC ACID SOLUTION
(Saturated Solution Boric Acid)
Not less than 4.25 Grams Boric Acid per 100cc.
Benzalkonium Clorine 0.013% added as preservative.
Use: As an inhibitory bacterial agent.
Caution: Harmful if swallowed. For external use only.
Manufactured by Humco Laboratory Texarkana, Texas.

I don't remember where I got it but I've had it for quite awhile...it expired in '94. :shocked2:

Last edited:
Benzalkonium Clorine 0.013% added as preservative.

Any chance I could use some of this stuff to preserve my good looks ?? :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom