Holy weight belt batman, how much is that

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
Just courios how much people are paying for weights. At my LDS they have hard for 2.40 a pound and soft for 2.70. . My father in law paid 3.00 a pound for sand weights. Also how much did you get. I know it depend on a buch of things, but i want to see how much you bought for your weight. I'm 200lbs and not looking forward to 20-30 lbs of weights.
:whoa:

I use lead weights, and am a pretty big girl. It would only cost me about $15.00 for them at my LDS. (Won't bother to actually buy them though until I know I'll be doing some diving on my own...which is not in the near future.)

Kristey :sombrero:

Check the board for another thread in which divers discuss how they have subverted this pricing by buying pouches, getting buckshot, & making their own weights.

Hi Steve,

Depending on how often and where you intend to dive, buying weights may be something you may not want to do, esp at first. If you are traveling by air, I can't imagine taking weights along...my dive bag weights enough as it is. You can rent weights for a few bucks almost anywhere. A chunk of lead is a chunk of lead so renting weights is a lot different than renting a wetsuit or reg. A lot of travel destinations include weights in the price of the dive anyway. If you want one of the nicer pouch type belts, which I do like a lot better than the old standard type, just buy the belt and use the rented weights.
If you still want to get weights, see the other threads on what others have done. I just go mine the local gun club pistol berm, pick out some nice smooth slugs and put them in nylon bags my wife makes. I have maybe $.50 in the bag and nothing in the lead.

My kids just got certified and the instructor made everyone purchase their weights so he didn't have to haul them to the pool!

I found that interesting...not a major big deal as I knew my kids would be "keepers"...

Originally posted by sdexcalibur
Just courios how much people are paying for weights. At my LDS they have hard for 2.40 a pound and soft for 2.70. . My father in law paid 3.00 a pound for sand weights. Also how much did you get. I know it depend on a buch of things, but i want to see how much you bought for your weight. I'm 200lbs and not looking forward to 20-30 lbs of weights.
:whoa:
My local LDS sells soft weights to me for $1.00 per pound. Don't know why lead is so expensive for you.

Well guys and gals, Sorry to say I had to buy weights. My class starts the 26th. and the instructor said I would need about 10 lbs. for the pool, I bought 3 -4's and it come out to 35 and change. I saw a site where you can buy bags and just add lead shot, I might do that for the rest of the weights.
Maybe I could get store credit for the ones I bought.

What ever you do, I can't recommend to mould your own weights. Molted lead gives off fumes that are toxic! In the old days lead was used in the manufacturing of hats. The result was the old proverb: Mad as a hatter!

Re. the price. If you are worried about the price of lead, you'r in for a bad surprice when it comes to purchasing other gear.

Dane, it was mercury that was used in the hat production, not lead so the illness was mercury poisoning, not lead poisoning. Lead molding is fairly safe if done in a WELL ventalated area and you wash up afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom