Holy Partial pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, simple green bad--Bacon grease good. Mmmmmmm. Love it when I have that bacon aftertaste from deco hangs. :wink:

Well, guess that all the rest of us are screwed then because simple green is pretty much what any body (official or otherwise) I have talked to uses. And anybody that I know in the tech community on island (Just a handful right now so granted my sample is small) use it as well. It does a great job of removing hydrocarbons, rinsing out cleanly and one is even biodegragable.

Also, haven't heard (that of course doesn't make it so) any one discern a difference on the island between O2 clean and O2 service. I have heard them both used interchangebly and never even heard anybody suggest that just changing your o-ring is O2 anything (service, clean, almost-clean, etc).

Also, haven't heard (that of course doesn't make it so) any one discern a difference on the island between O2 clean and O2 service. I have heard them both used interchangebly and never even heard anybody suggest that just changing your o-ring is O2 anything (service, clean, almost-clean, etc).

Thank you, I thought I was going crazy there for a minute. Now I can go back to tumbling my tanks w/ bacon grease in peace.

pick up any manual for nitrox, technical nitrox or learn about O2 service of gear,,, OR get to a level of diving where you can teach any of the above courses and you'll notice there is quite a difference in O2 clean & O2 service, it's not an O'ahu thing unless, padi, naui, tdi and iantd all have different teaching requirements from state to state

Could you explain any reason somebody would want to have their tank/valve O2 services vs O2 cleaned based on the definitions you provided?

--Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to further all our knowledge (you, myself, others, whatever might be the case).

Last edited:
Thanks for the non-education. I was asking a serious question and sort of hoped for a serious answer.

I, and nobody else (except maybe one person) had ever heard of those terms not meaning the same and both being used interchangebly. You brought up that many of the manuals that some of us have been trained with use those terms and define them as meaning different things. Some of us also know how to do pp and constant blending and do understand the need for proper O2-"making all parts hydrocarbon free", especially if you choose to fill your tanks faster than the recommended speeds with O2 (not especially smart). My question is that if there is truly a difference in definition then could you explain to us what would be the purpose of simply doing O2 clean (just changing out the oring)?

Right.

You forgot to mention that a complete, true O2 service is virtually impossible without a clean room -- something that most regulator manufacturers aren't even maintaining, apparently.

Muahahahahahaha. I have just completed construction on my clean room. I am now the only person in the world that will truly O2 service/clean your equipment. Cost layout is listed below;

tank/valve -$1,000
1st stage - $400
2nd stage - $400
1st/2nd stage - $700
BC/wing - $500
flashlight - $300
snorkel - $1,000,000

Any equipment that has been oxygen serviced is O2 cleaned but just because something has been O2 cleaned does not mean it meets the definition of Oxygen serviced.

"O2 clean is the verifiable absence of particulate, fiber, oil, grease and other contaminants. Verifiable absence is determined through the use of qualitative and quantitative cleanliness measurement techniques." Quoted from the PADI Tec Rec DSAT Gas Blender Manual. (I hope DSAT won't mind)

"Any pressure system that uses oxygen above 40 percent must be oxygen serviced. This means that the system must be: designed for oxygen use, OXYGEN CLEAN, and oxygen compatible." Again, quoted from PADI Tec Rec DSAT Gas Blender Manual.

Therefore, the difference between these two is that you can oxygen clean equipment that is not designed for use with oxygen and therefore it may not be oxygen compatible. Though Atomic and SCUBA Pro may not want this mentioned, a titanium regulator is an example. You can oxygen clean it, replace o-rings and seats with oxygen compatible materials, but the titanium itself would make the device not designed for use with oxygen in the strictest terms as titanium is more pourous than many metals and considered a risk to retain minute carbon particles which could unsafely build up rendering a previously O2 cleaned device contaminated.

In common usage however, O2 cleaned does mean Oxygen serviced because it is assumed in the industry the a professional would not O2 clean a device that was not designed for use with oxygen nor would it beO2 cleaned without replacing suspect parts with O2 compatible ones.

I think the person who continues to profess that there is a difference between O2 clean and O2 serviced, as the terms are used in the industry, is mis-associating the difference between equipment that has been serviced/made compatible for use with O2 mixes up to 40% and equipment that has been O2 cleaned and serviced for use with O2 up to 100%.

For example, tanks that will be filled with a membrane system or banked enriched air in a manner that will not expose the tank and valve to O2 mixes above 40% must be made compatible with the higher oxygen content than air. These tanks or other similar equipment is often refered to as enriched air serviced to 40% or nitrox serviced to 40% (not O2 cleaned nor O2 serviced). Conversely, equipment that will be used or exposed to O2 higher than 40% must be oxygen cleaned and must meet the standard of being O2 serviced which means that in addition to being O2 cleaned it is O2 compatible AND designed for use with oxygen.

I hope this helps.

bugbagger,

Thank you very. You reiterated the point that the terms are pretty much used interchangebly in the mainstream to include Oahu. You also provided an excellent lesson (in my opinion) in response to my question. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom