holy heavy doubles batman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my double 119's. Not too bad to lug around on the surface. They are really solid in the water. I have a 4lb trim weight with a 6lb ss backplate, drysuit. Best part is that on a shore dive, a few hours isn't out of the question!

holy heavy doubles batman

Can anyone enlighten me...

:eyebrow:

If you want to make those tanks lighter... borrow a set of my double 119's filled to 4,000psi and huff them around for a while.

It's great when I dive on vacation somewhere using an AL80... feels like diving naked!

Weenies! Pst LP120s are where its at!

Air pig! For us people who don't breathe much 100s or less are where it's at! :eyebrow:

Greetings gbray and congratulations on your new tanks! The worst part of having doubles is the ground time! In water you are in another world and lost to the journey.
The best advice I ever got was work out, lift wisely, and if you have to walk long distances drop gear then park.
Climbing stairs can be challenging but you will be amazed how quickly you will adjust.
Once the rig is balanced on your back even 150 lbs is manageable with some practice.

I love my 100's they make my 95's feel like 1000 lbs. Just joking you will be fine and in no time be used to it. No worries just ease into it. Give your body time to adjust to the extra weight.
Have fun and enjoy the new tanks!
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

I was talking to a friend the other day and said I think I would like to own a set of double HP 100's eventually. ... The only doubles i have ever had on were my 72's. I picked them up today after work. It wasn't until I had to carry them across the drive way and into the house that I realised how heavy they were. They make my 72's seem like an aluminum 40. I put them on my B/P and walked around with them. Am I crazy?
]
SuPrBuGmAn:
Wait till you strap on some big boy tanks, HP130s are bigger, ouch!
Ditto. My 130s make my 100s seem oh so pleasant to carry.
Am I really going to jump in the water with that weight strapped to my back?... Can anyone enlighten me on what to expect and what their first experience with tanks that heavy was like?
My first ocean dive with doubles was with double HP120s, diving wet. It was a mixture of anxiety - even though I had a large, dual bladder wing, I was worried about becoming a dirt dart - and surprised reasssurance. Once in the water, I didn't notice the tanks as much as I thought I would. Getting back on the boat was interesting, though. I don't mean to be dismissive, but, I hardly notice my 100s now, getting in or getting out. The 130s have cured me of that.

Doubles are awful to carry around by holding them in your hands....I don't think they're really that bad when they're on your back. I pretty much refuse to move my doubles in any way other than with a plate attached to it and on my back.

Doubles do, however, make a single feel very light! The first time I put a single HP130 on after I had been diving doubles, it felt like an Al80 :D

Doubles do, however, make a single feel very light! The first time I put a single HP130 on after I had been diving doubles, it felt like an Al80 :D

First time I donned an AL80 after a year of diving double 119's I almost flew right off the boat when I stood up... so used to having to muscle 100+ lbs of weight I put a little toom much "oomph" behind getting up.

:shocked2:

Weenies! Pst LP120s are where its at!

enormous_tanks.jpg

I used PST LP120s for several years, even on several beach dives. They are character-building!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom