holy heavy doubles batman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know I am probably over reacting but...
I thought I was doing good toting my double LP72's around. I was talking to a friend the other day and said I think I would like to own a set of double HP 100's eventually. I have heard a lot of good things about them. He said take mine home this weekend and try them. I was excited. The only doubles i have ever had on were my 72's. I picked them up today after work. It wasn't until I had to carry them across the drive way and into the house that I realised how heavy they were. They make my 72's seem like an aluminum 40. I put them on my B/P and walked around with them. Am I crazy? Am I really going to jump in the water with that weight strapped to my back? I must be because I am. Can anyone enlighten me on what to expect and what their first experience with tanks that heavy was like?

You're gonna be able to drop excess weight off your current kit...

Wait till you strap on some big boy tanks, HP130s are bigger, ouch!

You're gonna be able to drop excess weight off your current kit...

Wait till you strap on some big boy tanks, HP130s are bigger, ouch!

Yep, my first ever dive in doubles was with LP85s (about the same weight as HP100s), my second was in LP72s, those are sweet but don't hold a lot of gas. After that, I signed up for ADV nitrox. I already had a 1 year old HP130 that I liked diving. I bought a mate for it and doubled them. Yea, they are heavy. With 3600psi in them and with my BP and wing, they weigh 134# according to my digital bathroom scales.

FWIW, I think I'm diving the 72s Sunday for a relaxed and easy entry, dive, and exit.

Try double LP 108's. Mine weigh 132lbs with only bands, manifold & empty. I would say with air, SS BP/W, regulators,.... & so on, its probably coming in at 160- 170 lbs. I started out in LP 85's which weigh next to nothing compared to the 108's.

I tried twin 7s first (55s I believe), they were easy, no dramas. Then I tried twin 12s (100) and nearly gave myself a hernia. I couldn't lift them on and off myself and would struggle to move them around. One time I rested them on my car boot and was going to wiggle them off, but instead fell backwards and got stuck in my boot on my back like a turtle :rofl3: This has happened twice actually but the second time I was strong enough to stand up without assistance!

I did a bunch of easy, shallow dives with them and now find them easy to deal with. Can put them on myself, carry them around, climb up ladders in rough weather, walk long distances, no worries.

Oh another thing I struggled with was I tried AL80 sidemount setup and thought I'd be fine to climb up a ladder with them on after a dive rather than unclipping, bad idea and I got stuck on the ladder in an awkward position (as the weighting was so awkward compared to what I was used to) whilst someone clipped them off me :blush:

HP100s aren't that bad, IMO. I handle them fairly well, and I get better every time I diver them. But for myself, they are about the limit just because I'm a little guy so I don't want to be carrying my body weight in scuba gear. Done similar stuff and hated it, not gonna do that again.

But as far as diving them goes, they rock. Not too big (for me) so they aren't too hard to push, and LOTS of gas for two recreational dives on air. If using Nitrox and you want to push those tables I would get a stage unless you are a light breather who can stretch a tank like that. Also, you will be able to take a few pounds of lead off. I dive weightless with an Al plate, my HP100s, and my drysuit. For a set of AL80s I add 4 lbs.

Peace,
Greg

I've got 20 dives on my new set of HP 100s. They get lighter with every dive. I measured mine out at 88lbs with gas, bands, manifold. All told it's just 20lbs more than my single tank setup. Not that big of a deal.

VI

I recently started diving with double LP 120's and I must agree with Van Isle here, its not so bad once you get used to them. It does weigh a fair bit, around 160lbs when fully setup, but I really enjoy it.

Also, I went out and bought a hand cart for my portable cascade so that when i took it in to get it filled myself and the staff didn't hurt themselves moving them around.

Weenies! Pst LP120s are where its at!

The other option is sidemount. You only have to carry one tank at a time. I do both backmount with double LP108's and sidemount with LP108's. No advil for the back with sidemount!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom