Hollywood diving and reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I watched the dive fight scene today in James Bond 007 Thunderball and noticed that Sean Connery had the mask and regulator with tank but no BCD or wetsuit! Also noticed how different the diving was in films compared to how most folks scuba dive. In movies you rarely if ever see divers with snorkels but check any PADI book or video and all scuba divers have a snorkel attached to the mask keeper even while 100 feet at depth.

Yes we see this all the time in our territiory. The film companies, film shoots, commercials, Fashion shoots, Music Videos, it's all about drama and showing the "dangers" or Sexy aspects of diving. It is never real. The wardrobe folks from different productions are directed to come in and shop us and get ideas, then they go back to the product placement folks and try to get all the diving companies to give them free drysuits, spearguns, wetsuits that reveal more than usual....and all for shots that lead to eye rolling from certified avid divers. It's not about the gear, or reality, it's about a directors vision that creates drama and danger and they always want to do it for the cheapest price available. It's going on right now as we speak. Someone else is shooting an underwater scene right now that won't really, really equate to what a diver would really do. pffft long winded.

Back in 1964 when the movie was filmed BCs were not yet mainstream and filming in the Bahamas wouldn't have required a wetsuit. BTW snorkels are often not in the kit of experienced divers. I carry a pocket snorkel in a pocket of my BC but only if it looks like it may be needed.

Hollywood Diving for the Los Angeles film industry is always a funny and exciting endevor. Sean Connery even rolls his eyes at this type of underwater scene. Another great underwater diving scene is from the Italian Job. Check that one out. They use Drager Re-breathers to steal a palate of look while underwater....ridiculous. Cool scene and concept for a Hollywood Scene

I watched the dive fight scene today in James Bond 007 Thunderball and noticed that Sean Connery had the mask and regulator with tank but no BCD or wetsuit! Also noticed how different the diving was in films compared to how most folks scuba dive. In movies you rarely if ever see divers with snorkels but check any PADI book or video and all scuba divers have a snorkel attached to the mask keeper even while 100 feet at depth.

Hi Ben,
I always dive with no BCD or wetsuit in warm water. it adds drag and serves no purpose.
Also .... never had any use for a snorkel underwater.

I watched the dive fight scene today in James Bond 007 Thunderball and noticed that...

It's quite an old movie. Diving has progressed considerably since then, with new kit standards and procedures.

Some people (as others have mentioned) still opt to dive without a BCD. For a properly weighted diver, especially when not requiring a thick (buoyant) exposure suit there is little need for a BCD except as surface floatation.

Same is true for wetsuits. If you're not cold, why would you wear one?

In movies you rarely if ever see divers with snorkels but check any PADI book or video and all scuba divers have a snorkel attached to the mask keeper even while 100 feet at depth.

PADI maintain a standard that students must be equipped with snorkels during training. This approach is illustrated during their DVD. I never quite worked out why they had that standard - probably something to do with liability?!?

For wreck, tech and cave diving, PADI actually recommend no snorkel - because it represents an entanglement hazard and/or interferes with long-hose regulator configurations (search the site for details on that).

Beyond PADI courses, the diver themselves get to decide their own equipment preferences. Most divers don't opt to wear a snorkel unless they have a specific need for it - primarily because they are planning an extended surface swim or maybe because surface conditions are rough (and they wish to preserve their air in their cylinder). Basically, it's a tool chosen if the task requires it. However, most divers do also find the snorkel to be an annoying distraction when fitted to the mask. Even if they do choose to carry one, then they might remove/replace it from the mask for the duration of the dive itself (reserving it for surface use only). It's useless when submerged.

The best movie i watched about diving is "Into the Blue", this full movie takes you to a deep blue sea....

Into the Blue is a B grade remake of The Deep.

It's Hollywood! That should explain everything. Do you think that any of the fight scenes, explosions, gun fights, etc... Are in any way real or at the very least close to reality? When you shoot a car, it won't explode in a fireball. When you see a cop in a movie chamber a round, do you really think any of the cops out there are really walking around without one in the pipe. No, but it makes a dramatic sound that adds to the drama.

It makes stupid people get excited about stuff they know very little about. And we're all ignorant enough about something to buy into it.

Into the Blue is a B grade remake of The Deep.
Its a bloody annoying B movie that could have been a lot better if Jessica Alba just decided wether or not to be dressed instead of running around half dressed all the time..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom