Hollis rigging kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I share this experience and use a similar solution.

There are few advantages (none?) to the Hollis style kit and many disadvantages. This explains its unpopularity among experienced divers.

That's all I've heard about the Hollis kit. When I DID complain to the guy I bought mine from about the rigging not being included, his response was "You wouldn't want it. It sux."

There are few advantages (none?) to the Hollis style kit and many disadvantages. This explains its unpopularity among experienced divers.
The advantage of using actual cam bands is that they'll never break.
Hose clamps can and do break, especially with bigger heavier steel cylinders.

The gigantic bolt snaps are fabulous with dry gloves.
They are ok on the tails, way too big and bulky as neck clip backups.

The advantage of using actual cam bands is that they'll never break.
Hose clamps can and do break, especially with bigger heavier steel cylinders.

Hmm. Maintenance issue? On my lp131s I changed the hose clamps every ~400 dives if they needed it or not. Is there an estimated service interval on them?

Never had an issue with 2x of them on my lp121's, but I don't carry them by the bolt snaps out of the water....

That said, if you are using rental tanks, use cam bands. I keep a set of the 1.5" Dive Rite skinny ones in my dive kit for that purpose though rarely every use them.

The threaded screw will eventually rip out of the band part. Especially if the worm drive gets banged around in a cave. There's a reason cave divers have standardized on actual cam bands. If you insist on using worm drive band clamps, I suggest you double them up. Having one break is pretty much a disaster in a small silty cave.

@rjack321 cave divers where? Most of the ones I see are worm gears. They typically have a piece of air tubing over it to to protect suits and it is clocked near ish the attachment point, but in Florida they are almost all worm gears.... We do use two though

@rjack321 cave divers where? Most of the ones I see are worm gears. They typically have a piece of air tubing over it to to protect suits and it is clocked near ish the attachment point, but in Florida they are almost all worm gears.... We do use two though

Here's another data slice:

Single worm gear clamp / jubilee clip is standard in Mexico for al80 (edit: Yucatan) .

Rare to see cam bands except for divers with shiny new gear or those selling them.

Might make an interesting poll and it's own thread.

Two is fine and cheap enough. I wont use them because my stuff gets hauled in dry caves and assembled at the site/sump. You wont find worm clamps at Huautla or anything like that either. You could just hang out at amigos or EE or cave country dive shop, or at Edd's, lots and lots of actual cam bands, very few worm clamps.

Here's another data slice:

Single worm gear clamp / jubilee clip is standard in Mexico for al80s.

Rare to see cam bands except for divers with shiny new gear or those selling them.

Might make an interesting poll and it's own thread.
Al80s are small and light enough it not as big of an issue. And if/when they do rarely break you can jury rig something to hold up the tail of a used al80 up out of a hose bungie and a double ender. That's not so easy with a heavier tank

Back
Top Bottom