Hollis rigging kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nldiver1984

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently bought an SMS 75 for $550 Canadian, but noticed the rigging kit wasn't included. The seller said that she used a stage kit instead. Should I try to get another $50- $100 off for the rigging kit not being there? I'm a bit disappointed as I thought it would have everything.

How much should I expect to pay for a rigging kit?

Same thing happened to me. I picked up 2 HOG tank bands for $13 each from Divers Supply

Hog Tank Strap with Stainless Cam Buckle

4 extra large Snap bolts and 2 tri glides from Dive Gear Express ($26)

Paracord from my local hardware store ($5?)

used a salvaged Fire Truck inner tube for hose retainers (nada)

I'm a cheap b*****d

I recently bought an SMS 75 for $550 Canadian, but noticed the rigging kit wasn't included. The seller said that she used a stage kit instead. Should I try to get another $50- $100 off for the rigging kit not being there? I'm a bit disappointed as I thought it would have everything.

How much should I expect to pay for a rigging kit?
The included hollis rigging kit is kind of crappy. The bolt snaps are gigantic too. Dive rite actually makes the nicest cam bands IMO, the rubbery pad takes up some of the stretch in the nylon
DGX Tank Strap, Standard with S/S Cam Buckle

I would get double enders instead of bolt snaps from DGX. nylon dock line for the neck leashes. can also use the sheathed SS cylinder clamps instead of cam bands if you keep the tanks dedicated.

Specific to the question:

No, unless they lied in the advertisement, after I purchase something I wouldn't expect a discount for things I think should be included but aren't. Haggling before buying is to be expected.

If I list a LEFT fin for sale for 50$, after someone buys it, I won't be offering any discount because the left fin isn't included in the sale.

I found the Hollis cambands with my SMS75 to be too bulky and the Velcro strap was getting in the way. I opted for SS sheathed clamps from Dive Gear Express. Cheap and effective. Paracord for a neck leash. Skinny bicycle inner tube tied around the tank for hose retainers.

I found the Hollis cambands with my SMS75 to be too bulky and the Velcro strap was getting in the way. I opted for SS sheathed clamps from Dive Gear Express. Cheap and effective. Paracord for a neck leash. Skinny bicycle inner tube tied around the tank for hose retainers.

I share this experience and use a similar solution.

When swapping rental tanks with hose clamp bands I use the edge of my buckle as a screwdriver. The reduced complexity allows for a faster setup than all the buckles and Velcro in other designs.

There are few advantages (none?) to the Hollis style kit and many disadvantages. This explains its unpopularity among experienced divers.

... can also use the sheathed SS cylinder clamps instead of cam bands if you keep the tanks dedicated.

That's a good point. I sometimes switch to rented tanks at the quarry if I don't feel like loosing dive time waiting on fills. But as you say, if you have dedicated tanks and are not going to be using rentals, cylinder clamps is a good way to save some dough. Even switching the clamps to another tank seems like it wouldn't be too time consuming, but can't say since I've never done it.

Back
Top Bottom